New feature! The CookingBites Cookalong: Coq au Vin

@morning glory
If you want to get technical, Coq is chicken au is in vin is wine. So any chicken in wine is Coq au vin.
And why couldn't you put cream and red wine together.
I think I have seen Sherry and cream in drinks.

@morning glory
If you want to get technical, Coq is chicken au is in vin is wine. So any chicken in wine is Coq au vin.
And why couldn't you put cream and red wine together.
I think I have seen Sherry and cream in drinks.

Technically 'Coq' is a cockerel - but it is accepted that 'poulet' can be substituted as we don't tend to get many cockerels these days...

You could put red wine and cream together. Why wouldn't it work? One reason would be visual I think (the sauce could become a sludgy pink) but mainly because red wine is a very robust flavour usually associated with mediterranean flavours - olives for example. Having googled, there are some recipes which use cream and red wine... but not often in a classic Coq au Vin. I'm a bit of a purist with Coq au Vin but that is a personal thing because I've eaten it in France quite often. Buy anyway, are you going to give it a try @Cinisajoy (cream or no cream).

Sherry and cream are a classic. But then, sherry isn't red.

Technically 'Coq' is a cockerel - but it is accepted that 'poulet' can be substituted as we don't tend to get many cockerels these days...

You could put red wine and cream together. Why wouldn't it work? One reason would be visual I think (the sauce could become a sludgy pink) but mainly because red wine is a very robust flavour usually associated with mediterranean flavours - olives for example. Having googled, there are some recipes which use cream and red wine... but not often in a classic Coq au Vin. I'm a bit of a purist with Coq au Vin but that is a personal thing because I've eaten it in France quite often. Buy anyway, are you going to give it a try @Cinisajoy (cream or no cream).

Sherry and cream are a classic. But then, sherry isn't red.
What color would you call it lol.
I probably will but with a white cooking wine. No cream. Except with beef, darker wines make me nauseous and give me a headache. Remember the too much wine comment.
And I do only buy cooking wines.

It depends on the sherry - golden, pale yellow, tawny - but not red. And even the dry sort is sweeter than red wine.
The ones I had seen were way closer to red than gold. Quick Google tells me, it comes in all colors.
Quick look in the kitchen tells me I need white cooking wine. What I thought was white wine was white wine vinegar.
Though I do have burgundy cooking wine but I think that would way overpower the chicken.

The ones I had seen were way closer to red than gold. Quick Google tells me, it comes in all colors.
Quick look in the kitchen tells me I need white cooking wine. What I thought was white wine was white wine vinegar.
Though I do have burgundy cooking wine but I think that would way overpower the chicken.

White burgundy? That would be fine. What differentiates cooking wine from normal wine?

I was supposed to be cooking the Coq au Vin today but my plans went awry - I woke with atrial fibrillation, (a long standing heart issue) . Heart going bonkers and fast - not so bad I needed an ambulance but it meant I couldn't do anything physically except sit. Its cleared now but I'm too tired to cook. So the chicken is still in the red wine marinade and will remain there until tomorrow. I'm sure it will benefit from the additional time!

I was supposed to be cooking the Coq au Vin today but my plans went awry - I woke with atrial fibrillation, (a long standing heart issue) . Heart going bonkers and fast - not so bad I needed an ambulance but it meant I couldn't do anything physically except sit. Its cleared now but I'm too tired to cook. So the chicken is still in the red wine marinade and will remain there until tomorrow. I'm sure it will benefit from the additional time!
Feel better soon.

Have you ever cooked the classic dish Coq au VIn? If not, then now is your chance to try! If you have cooked it before, you can share your wisdom and cook along too. The idea of the Cookalong is that members cook a classic recipe within a certain timescale and share their experience. Its a bit of fun and a chance to learn. Our first recipe is Coq au Vin, the classic French casserole dish.

You don't have to stick to the following recipe - there are many variations of this dish. But I would say that the dish ought to contain: chicken, wine (could be non-alcoholic), bacon, baby onions or shallots, mushrooms.

I did a bit of research and chose this very straightforward recipe from James Martin as a starting point for the Cookalong. The other recipe which caught my attention was from Raymond Blanc. He marinades the chicken in wine (which is what I usually do) - but beware, his recipe is much more complicated! See here.

Please add your comments, photos, experiences to this thread. Provisional closing date Weds 3rd May, but we can be flexible if people haven't had time and intend to join in. Please do say if you are intending to join in! I'll be cooking Coq au Vin at the weekend. :happy:

James Martin's Coq au Vin

Ingredients

• 25g/1oz butter
  • 150g/5½oz shallots, peeled but left whole
  • 5 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 150g/5½oz streaky bacon, cut thickly
  • sprig of fresh thyme or a good pinch of dried
  • 350g/12½oz button mushrooms
  • 500ml/16½fl oz good red wine
  • 500ml/16½fl oz chicken stock
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 free range chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces, on the bone but skin removed (or 6 chicken thighs)
  • small bunch flat leaf parsley chopped
  • salt and crushed black pepper
Method
  1. Heat a thick-bottomed casserole dish on the stove, add almost all the butter (reserving a knob of the butter) and the shallots. Cook until just browned; then stir in the garlic. Add the bacon and thyme and cook for 2-3 minutes.

2. Add the mushrooms, turn up the heat and add the red wine, chicken stock and vinegar. Add the chicken pieces, bring the sauce to the boil and then simmer gently for about 25 minutes or until the chicken is tender and cooked through. For a thicker sauce, remove the chicken once it is cooked and keep warm. Cook the sauce over a high heat for a few minutes until the volume of liquid has reduced. Return the chicken back to the pan.

3. Add the parsley, together with the reserved knob of butter. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve with a dressed green salad and olive oil mash or crusty bread.

I've never cooked before Coq au vin, so it could be interesting to learn a new thing! I've read on "Giallo Zafferano" - italian cooking website- that there is also the flour as ingredient. I really don't know this recipe but until I wouldn't cook it, I will never know..so, I hope to cook in time...if not, I'll post the photo on the thread What did you cook/eat today? :wink:

I've never cooked before Coq au vin, so it could be interesting to learn a new thing! I've read on "Giallo Zafferano" - italian cooking website- that there is also the flour as ingredient. I really don't know this recipe but until I wouldn't cook it, I will never know..so, I hope to cook in time...if not, I'll post the photo on the thread What did you cook/eat today? :wink:
I think it is not a difficult recipe to cook. Yes, some recipes add flour to thicken the sauce. The deadline is very flexible - its not a competition! :happy:

Back
Top Bottom