New Kitchen Toys!

image.jpeg
Pictures please!

This, peeling carrots with the silver part, when cut carrots look like notched veges, the black,end is for making decorative cuts in oranges etc with perforated like pinking shears.

View attachment 14752

This, peeling carrots with the silver part, when cut carrots look like notched veges, the black,end is for making decorative cuts in oranges etc with perforated like pinking shears.

I want one (!) but not sure what to search for in order to buy. Can you post the foodie results when you have time? :)

C
I want one (!) but not sure what to search for in order to buy. Can you post the foodie results when you have time? :)

I bought it in Thailand about 15 years ago, if you do Google pic search you should find it. Grandkids love veges that are cut with this, the end bit with circle you can cut melons into pencil like straws. I'll post pics after I use it next time. It's a great tool.

Russ

I got this one recently - it works very well, but I've noticed that when not using it for a while, the gas seems to leak out (zero level - when I left it half full).
View attachment 14722

I've had the same problems with a few refillable units in the past, they all tend to leak out after some time,
unless one is willing to do a teardown and grease all the seals with $ilicone grease that is.
The 227g cans of butane are ~$1 each here..and I DO remove the burner when not using it
It's faster to pop the burner on/off a can than to do a refill.

I've treated myself to a stick blender (£5 in Argos) and glass electronic scales (about £11 in Argos), thanks to some vouchers I got for complaining to Autoglass about them not turning up on the right day to replace my car windscreen. I ended up paying £3 for the two, most of which was for the accidental damage insurance on the scales - I'll probably drop them sooner or later.

I've treated myself to a stick blender (£5 in Argos) and glass electronic scales (about £11 in Argos), thanks to some vouchers I got for complaining to Autoglass about them not turning up on the right day to replace my car windscreen. I ended up paying £3 for the two, most of which was for the accidental damage insurance on the scales - I'll probably drop them sooner or later.
My stick blender is almost daily, great for taking lumps out of tomato sauce. And my wee set of scales are prolly 25 years old, used a lot measuring strawberry and raspberry jam. Don't know how I'd cope without any of them.

Russ

My stick blender is almost daily, great for taking lumps out of tomato sauce. And my wee set of scales are prolly 25 years old, used a lot measuring strawberry and raspberry jam. Don't know how I'd cope without any of them.

Russ
The glass scales I bought are just a flat piece of glass - lovely for weighing accurately, and of course I can use any bowl, dish or pan on them. I still have my older, traditional scales but they do tend to take up a lot more room, and I'm forever knocking them......

I've had the same problems with a few refillable units in the past, they all tend to leak out after some time,
unless one is willing to do a teardown and grease all the seals with $ilicone grease that is.
The 227g cans of butane are ~$1 each here..and I DO remove the burner when not using it
It's faster to pop the burner on/off a can than to do a refill.

Mine is 'all in one' so i can't detach the burner. Its OK though. I tend to just fill it half way which does most jobs.

IMG_0050.JPG

Got a great deal on this in Dunelm today, plus a spare gas cylinder and extra bottle - all half price. I can now pursue the goal of making my own carbonated water - we gave up buying bottled water because of the plastic waste but I am really missing it. First attempt involved adding 1/4 tsp of sodium bicarbonate to the carbonated water. It was a pretty good taste! Need to order some Burton salt to do the job properly. Many thanks to @CraigC and @medtran49 for the inspiration :highfive:

View attachment 15056

Got a great deal on this in Dunelm today, plus a spare gas cylinder and extra bottle - all half price. I can now pursue the goal of making my own carbonated water - we gave up buying bottled water because of the plastic waste but I am really missing it. First attempt involved adding 1/4 tsp of sodium bicarbonate to the carbonated water. It was a pretty good taste! Need to order some Burton salt to do the job properly. Many thanks to @CraigC and @medtran49 for the inspiration :highfive:

No cheap are they - even at half price.:ohmy:

No cheap are they - even at half price.:ohmy:
Nope, but they are a LOT cheaper than buying bottled water, even with buying the salts and replacing the cannisters. Besides the fact you aren't schlepping those heavy bottles of water and you are reducing your carbon footprint. Ours has already paid for itself several times over.

Back
Top Bottom