New Kitchen Toys!

After my Omniblend packed up we've taken the plunge and after 2 months of trying hard to survive without it and constantly turning around to try to use it, we have taken the plunge and upgraded to a Vitamix. We've gone for one of the new models with preprogrammed settings as well as manual control... Not cheap but comes with a 10 yr warranty and we've realised just how much we actually do use one!

View attachment 14391

Good for you! :happy:
I'm sure it will outlast you (& your offspring!)
The Vitamix has rave reviews..I'd love one..but my present blender isn't dead yet, so I'll wait....

There's soo much junk being sold lately..designed to last ..perhaps a day after the warranty expires..?
I don't mind paying more,.. and having something that's going to outlast me....
Have an old 1970s Cuisinart/Robot Coupe food processor..buying a new bowl for it this weekend (still available)
Not to mention my 1950/60's pressure cooker that still works..sans electronics... :p:

Cheers!

After my Omniblend packed up we've taken the plunge and after 2 months of trying hard to survive without it and constantly turning around to try to use it, we have taken the plunge and upgraded to a Vitamix. We've gone for one of the new models with preprogrammed settings as well as manual control... Not cheap but comes with a 10 yr warranty and we've realised just how much we actually do use one!

View attachment 14391

Bestek Commercial Blender..jpg

See what you did, SatNavSaysStraightOn?!! You've started a disease!! Hah!!

Was looking on Amazon.com for a high-performance blender & saw a ton of brands & models. I saw THIS machine! Not a Vitamix though, but it caught my eye over the other models. It looks very robust, powerful & very high-tech. Like your Vitamix machine, it has a heavy duty 3-prong power cord

I had my eye on the Vitamix, but there are other machines out there that can match or equal its quality and performance in quality & value. About the only machine that I WON'T get is a Ninja. Because of its wimpy pea-brain motor and its all-plastic drive socket & blades being mounted stacked like stairs, on a plastic drive post, the motor can't spin the blade fast enough to create the friction that's needed to make piping hot soups . The manual tells you not to even try it!

it is this discrepancy THAT HAS KEPT ME away from buying a Ninja machine. I want HOT soup, not luke warm or cold!! If you want to make steaming hot soup in a blender, then DON'T buy a Ninja :wink:

Last edited:
Today I'm expecting delivery of my new treat......a new stick blender & accessories set :D

61E83pLNqmL._SL1500_.jpg

My current stick blender is a secondhand one I was given by a flatmate about 15 years ago - it still works ok but the blade doesn't feel particularly sharp and it kind of sucks itself down onto the bottom of the pot. So when you manage to break the suction it goes all at once and you end up splattering soup everywhere - the new is is supposedly anti-suction I'm hoping this will fix that issue. The chopper attachment which comes with it will replace my 10 year old mini-chopper which I've also been thinking about replacing as its starting to struggle to chop things finely.

The bit I'm looking towards most though is the potato masher! It gets great reviews and whilst I can make perfect mash using the potato ricer or the Kitchenaid, they're too much faffing about unless its a special occasion so I can't wait to try this new gadget out :D

The bit I'm looking towards most though is the potato masher! It gets great reviews and whilst I can make perfect mash using the potato ricer or the Kitchenaid, they're too much faffing about unless its a special occasion so I can't wait to try this new gadget out :D

I have a stick blender with a mash attachment just like the one in the photo - its not the same model but obviously same principle. I can vouch for the fact it works brilliantly!

Just ordered this puppy! :happy:
work-sharp-ken-onion.jpg
Tired of dull knives..and a steel only goes so far (they ALL have to be resharpened eventually)..and I don't have hours of patience for stones..
Now I'll have to grow the toenails long ..& sharpen 'em :wacky:

Butane torch ("Iregro" from Amazon)

Butane torch Amazon_.jpg

Cheaper than the $$ Iwatani & works at all angles (brass preheater loop/tube in the front).
Watch for the really bad Asian knockoffs (have one)..no preheater & flares if it's tilted (scary!!)
Sears very well, even at low levels

Butane torch ("Iregro" from Amazon)

View attachment 14708

Cheaper than the $$ Iwatani & works at all angles (brass preheater loop/tube in the front).
Watch for the really bad Asian knockoffs (have one)..no preheater & flares if it's tilted (scary!!)
Sears very well, even at low levels

I got this one recently - it works very well, but I've noticed that when not using it for a while, the gas seems to leak out (zero level - when I left it half full).

61ZNPKC8COL._SX688_.jpg

IMG_0007.JPG

Stretching the term 'gadget' a little, but these beauties are new to the kitchen. Found them in a charity shop yesterday and just couldn't resist them. They are Bursley Ware, hand painted bone china, and we think they date back to the 1930's. Even the pattern name makes me smile - 'Bacchus'!

View attachment 14723

Stretching the term 'gadget' a little, but these beauties are new to the kitchen. Found them in a charity shop yesterday and just couldn't resist them. They are Bursley Ware, hand painted bone china, and we think they date back to the 1930's. Even the pattern name makes me smile - 'Bacchus'!

Lovely - I used to collect stuff such as this.

My coffee grinder is now my spice grinder. I make my Garam masala etc in mine. Suits me as I drink tea. Earl gray for mine. I also have a wee gadget I bought in Thailand for shaping veggies, I use that all the time as well.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom