New to making bread

alexander

Über Member
Local time
4:31 AM
I have been wanting to make my own bread for a long time but I'm nervous about it. My partner likes sourdough bread which we get from a local bakery but I know that might be a bridge too far as I would need to make the sourdough culture first of all. He also likes very dark rye bread. So I am thinking I might try that. Does anyone have any tips or recipes for a newbie?

Do not ever put the dough in a very hot area to rise. You will kill it and make something useful to someone like Wayne Gretzky.
Not sure what your equivalent store is but you can buy sourdough starter at King Arthur Flour.

That is very interesting. We can't buy sour dough starters in the UK as far as I'm aware - could be a good start-up business for someone!

That is very interesting. We can't buy sour dough starters in the UK as far as I'm aware - could be a good start-up business for someone!
Google just pulled up several including Amazon.co.uk, buywholefoodsonline.co.uk, and healthysupplies.co.uk.

Also at waitrose.

So much for your business idea.
The sourdough 'starters' you found are dried products which you add to flour and water to start your own sourdough culture. I was meaning 'live' sourdough culture which is a wet living thing, I couldn't find it at Waitrose. It is quite easy (apparently) to make your own culture from scratch - but you have to feed it daily like a pet so it is a bit of a problem if you are away from home.

I have bought some rye flour and strong bread flour and some yeast so I'm ready to start. Has anyone got a good recipe?

The sourdough 'starters' you found are dried products which you add to flour and water to start your own sourdough culture. I was meaning 'live' sourdough culture which is a wet living thing, I couldn't find it at Waitrose. It is quite easy (apparently) to make your own culture from scratch - but you have to feed it daily like a pet so it is a bit of a problem if you are away from home.
Since sourdough is a pet, the dried might be better so it doesn't die in transport.

Note to the OP, sourdough bread the first time is a several days process if you are making your own starter.

I've never made sourdough bread, but I've eaten it. It tastes good!! The pundgie flavor & taste makes it taste very exceptional!! :wink:

My first effort today. I used a basic rye bread recipe and it turned out quite well.

14d87873bc26ade6f002c53e70e5e449.jpg

Breadman Bread Machine_.jpg

Or get one of THESE. A bread machine.

It does all of the thinking for you! All that you do is measure the ingredients, add them to the baking pan, program the machine & just walk away! :wink:

View attachment 5987

Or get one of THESE. A bread machine.

It does all of the thinking for you! All that you do is measure the ingredients, add them to the baking pan, program the machine & just walk away! :wink:
I have one to mix and knead the dough because my arthritis means I cannot always manage to do it properly. I also use it to prove the dough because my kitchen faces north and can get really cold. I NEVER use it to cook the dough because I don't think the cooked bread ever tastes right, and I always pop the dough in the oven to cook.

Back
Top Bottom