New Year's In The Past.

Elementalmage

Veteran
Local time
1:58 PM
I need to extract a sepia moment here. As a child, on New Year's day, our neighborhood did something they no longer do. We would block off one street, carry out tables and connect them so that it is one long table running the length of the street. Each family brought something to the table. It was usually done as an evening thing and it brought neigbors together. Very sad that this no longer happens. :(

That sounds like so much fun. I don't know of any neighborhoods that do that anymore, usually just churches do that for special occasions. I love it because I get to meet new people or talk to people for a much longer amount of time. It would be nice to be able to get to know some of the neighbors like that too.

Well I have never heard of this sort of thing before, but it does sound like a very good idea. It is good for neighbours to get together like this and share what they have with each other. It is also a good way to socialize and get to know each other better. It is a pity they no longer do this. Maybe you could bring up the idea and suggest doing it again. Some of the neighbours may agree to it, and then others may join in.

We were raised in barbecue for New Year and we are continuing with that tradition. The rationale is because of the fireworks on New Year's eve. Since smoke is everywhere so barbecue is just all right. But New Year's eve is usually cold and for that, the best match to the barbecue is the pasta soup. We always cook that pasta soup that goes well with barbecue and bread.

I grew up celebrating New Year's Eve with my whole family all together in my parents house even up to the time that all of us had our own families already. Various festive foods for the season are being served on the dining table and we always had a toss of red wine all together when the clock strikes at 12 midnight. Then we do also had exchanging and giving of foods to our neighbors. This is what I am missing since I migrated to other country with my husband. Because here in their place New Year is not celebrated like that. That is why last New Year's Eve we decided to go home for a vacation to my mother country and celebrated it with my whole family. And I am so happy to witness that kind of celebration again.

Growing up, New Year's was always celebrated with Chinese take out food. I love that back there, all of the Chinese (and other Asian) restaurants are open until around 4 a.m., and all deliver. We would all gather at one home, and place a huge order, then share everything. It was a great opportunity to congregate, celebrate the old and new years, try new foods, see people I hadn't seen in quite a while, and make plans for the new year.

The OP's experience sounds similar to pot lucks the church at the corner of the street I grew up on would have sometimes. None of us even attended that particular church, but we all (the neighbors) would go, and bring a dish each. We also (the kids) attended some crafting sessions and fairs there. I like the sound of her experience, and think it would behoove many communities to organize similar events, to foster a greater sense of community.

When I was a kid we did this during the summer, it was called a block party, different streets would take turns closing off their traffic allowing the residents and friends to have a party. We all brought food and had a good time. I miss those days.

Done for Millenium here, but the amount of red tape that required cutting, nearly made certain it never happened.
Dead end, one entrance, and emergency access had to be maintained. As well as for all those living on the street.

I have a picture of me at the Queen's Coronation party. Long tables with white tablecloths in the Victorian terraced street and me in a white smock dress. I don't remember a thing about it, of course! In fact, I look quite puzzled in the photograph!

My most memorable New Year's Eve involved sitting outside a bar by the Red Sea coast. The temperature was about 35 Celsius and we lazed around in t-shirts and shorts, drinking very cold beer and watching all the ships letting off flares when midnight arrived.

Far too many people here in the UK regard the new year simply as an excuse to get sick falling down drunk. A bit sad really.

My husband and I stay at home, pop open a bottle of fizz and see in the New Year, going out and getting drunk is not my thing.

Back
Top Bottom