Next dish/recipe for the Cookalong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My issue in the past with ravioli has ben the dreaded 'leaking' - so we are probably in the same (leaky) boat here. I expect @MypinchofItaly is an expert though!

I can do them, but I'm not an expert, I'd love to be! Let's say I've learned slowly and mostly wrong ... But I imagine that not everyone is interested in preparing them ... I voted for ravioli for a matter of affection, but other recipes are also good.

But any deep saute pan with a lid would work.
A shallow pan is what you need for paella - you can use a large frying pan if a you don't have a paella pan. I've done so many times. The shallow pan is partly for presentation purposes - the individual elements of the dish are all prettily displayed rather than being lost or mixed up in a deeper casserole. But there is also another reason:

"If you don’t have a paella pan, use a 4cm-deep, medium-weight non-stick frying pan. It should be shallow and wide to allow moisture to evaporate quickly, and the base shouldn’t be too thick. If it’s too thick, the pan will retain too much heat and the food may overcook."
http://www.taste.com.au/quick-easy/articles/top-10-paella-tips/dpiFdUKc

Also, if you use a deep casserole dish you may be tempted to stir. The concept of a paella is that the chicken, rabbit and seafood items are all placed individually within the dish - not 'stirred in'. Not stirring also ensures the delicious, golden crust, known as socarrat to form on the base. A shallow pan is much easier for serving portions at the table and including the soccorat.

Last edited:
Tagine or paella would get my vote. Mainly because I am ensconced in Cyprus for the next three weeks with only two rings to cook on, and I can obtain all of the ingredients locally! I didn't pack my pasta machine and I don't have an oven

Tagine or paella would get my vote. Mainly because I am ensconced in Cyprus for the next three weeks with only two rings to cook on, and I can obtain all of the ingredients locally! I didn't pack my pasta machine and I don't have an oven
You packed your tagine then? :D @buckytom says it isn't tagine unless its cooked in a tagine...

I think we are coming to a 'sort of' consensus.

A shallow pan is what you need for paella - you can use a large frying pan if a you don't have a paella pan. I've done so many times. The shallow pan is partly for presentation purposes - the individual elements of the dish are all prettily displayed rather than being lost or mixed up in a deeper casserole. But there is also another reason:

http://www.taste.com.au/quick-easy/articles/top-10-paella-tips/dpiFdUKc

Also, if you use a deep casserole dish you may be tempted to stir. The concept of a paella is that the chicken, rabbit and seafood items are all placed individually within the dish - not 'stirred in'. Not stirring also ensures the delicious, golden crust, known as socarrat to form on the base. A shallow pan is much easier for serving portions at the table and including the soccorat.

Just my opinion, but a deep saute works better for me. Mostly because that's what I have that's wide enough (37 cm across), but it doesn't have to be filled to the top.

Just my opinion, but a deep saute works better for me. Mostly because that's what I have that's wide enough (37 cm across), but it doesn't have to be filled to the top.

If its a wide sautee pan, then I see what you mean - I was thinking you meant a deep casserole like a Le Creuset (which really isn't a good idea for paella).

Yes, it's really a gigantic non-stick frying pan that is just a little deeper than most, about 8.5 to 9 cm.

I wonder about how the physics of the nuclear power plant cooling tower looking top of a tagine works?

I wonder about how the physics of the nuclear power plant cooling tower looking top of a tagine works?
I'm not convinced that it actually adds anything to the process - just one of those quirky Med things. We have one at home but generally make tagines in a cast iron lidded pan (Le creuset) on a gas ring.

I'm not convinced that it actually adds anything to the process - just one of those quirky Med things. We have one at home but generally make tagines in a cast iron lidded pan (Le creuset) on a gas ring.

I believe there is a reason but I've forgotten what it is. Something to do with steam rising into the cone and then providing even distribution of heat on the base - you have to bear in mind they are designed to be used in fired ovens or over open fires. Using a casserole on the hob or in a modern oven should provide even heat - so the tagine is not necessary. That is from memory but I will look it up.

If I recall correctly, the shape of the lid has something to do with self basting the food in the base. There's probably more to it.

OK - almost everyone interested in the challenge has replied. The dish which had the most mentions, I think, was paella. So I propose we go for that. Its very versatile in terms of ingredients (besides the rice) and can be vegetarian/vegan. I'll start a new thread later today and post up a starter recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom