No More Leftovers - Build A Better TV Dinner

I'm sure the old tymey frozen TV dinners were designed to be nuked for a length of time that each component was heated well through. But then again, they were supposed to be for ease and convenience, not perfectly cooked food.

I can see this idea working for a very busy single person who is very organized. That's not me, though. I may be busy, but I make up for extreme mental disorganization with speed of thought, repetition, and hard work. When that's doesn't cut it, acceptance of failure on the day with vows (son to be forgotten) to correct my mistakes is the rule.

What were we talking about again?

I'm sure the old tymey frozen TV dinners were designed to be nuked for a length of time that each component was heated well through.

I think they still are. In the interests of science I bought and cooked one today. Yes - I am really dedicated. :D It was a roast beef dinner. Not frozen but in a compartmentalised container. Tesco's Roast Beef Dinner:

IDShot_540x540-28.jpg

The instructions said to remove the Yorkshire pudding and set aside and then put it back later. It worked quite well considering and the Yorkshire was very crispy.

Don't look at the list of ingredients that made it possible. You'll need a degree in o-chem.

Don't look at the list of ingredients that made it possible. You'll need a degree in o-chem.

I did though! Most ready meals in the UK have become surprisingly lacking in any additives at all. Only 19% beef though.

Ingredients
Potato (29%), British Beef (19%), Carrot, Peas, Water, Onion, Rapeseed Oil, Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Cornflour, Tomato Purée, Beef Extract, Skimmed Milk, Egg White, Egg, Salt, Beef Gelatine, Tomato Paste, Sugar, Caramelised Sugar, Onion Concentrate, White Pepper, Black Pepper.

I guess if it's frozen, it doesn't need as many chemicals except the listed preservatives (that aren't salt or sugar other supposed no nos.)

I think they still are. In the interests of science I bought and cooked one today. Yes - I am really dedicated. :D It was a roast beef dinner. Not frozen but in a compartmentalised container. Tesco's Roast Beef Dinner:

View attachment 20280

The instructions said to remove the Yorkshire pudding and set aside and then put it back later. It worked quite well considering and the Yorkshire was very crispy.

Wow. I love Yorkshire pudding… Wish we had that here… We have a brand from Marie Callendar's. They bake their own pies etc. The problem is the TV dinners here taste awful, the sodium is off the chart, & there hasn't been anything creative in years. If I had the money and the know-how, I would reinvent the frozen food industry. There would be healthier options and more gourmet-like selections. Definitely a market for convenient quick tasty food IMO.
Keep the container. Lol.

View attachment 20280

I like that you took a bullet for the team. Lol

From an engineering perspective, I must say it has to do with density/amount of liquid ingredients involved. You'd have to adjust the servings of more liquid ingredients (therefore more molecularly dense from a microwave perspective) to be less than drier ingredients.

I guess if it's frozen, it doesn't need as many chemicals except the listed preservatives (that aren't salt or sugar other supposed no nos.)

No - not a frozen ready meal. It has a shelf life of 4 days as it says on the photo above. Here we have whole supermarket aisles of fresh ready meals.

I'm surprised that the UK folks here aren't at your door with pitchforks and torches for suggesting nuked fish and chips. Lol.

I've only just come across it.

Interesting. The picture looks good. The idea is Thoroughly cooked home cooked food, portioned out and placed in trays, stored in the freezer, and heated in the microwave. The microwave has a turntable, I'd heat at about 50% power for four and a half to 5 minutes. Depends on your microwave. When I order Chinese food for delivery, one restaurant delivers each dish in the rectangular black dishes with a clear cover shown above. The dishes might also be available at restaurant supply stores.

I've tried reheating food in the containers leftover from Chinese takeout many, many times.

They can begin to melt if nuked long enough to reheat frozen food.

Melted plastic can't be all that healthy for you. :wacky:

Back
Top Bottom