No salads to be had

We grow iceberg here and another one I can't think of ATM. We also grow the fancy frilly ones as well, but I don't like them.

Russ

I love the fancy, frilly one called Frisee.

My wife bought baby arrugula today as the store was put of almost all other lettuces. It was really good with just a nice hint of bitterness.

I grew lettuces in my garden every year in the backyard of our old house.

I'd dig a trench, mix in compost from the previous year's apple tree's detritus, then rake it out to a long, mounded - then somewhat flattened - row of about 4 meters long, and a half meter wide, keeping the soil as fluffy as possible.

I would then use my middle and index fingers like a plow to make 2 long, shallow indentations along the length of the mounded/flattened row. Barely the depth of the first digit of my fingers.

Then I'd sprinkle whole packets of cheap lettuce seeds along each indentation, and carefully brush just a bit of soil over them.

The rows were gently watered from a wide headed watering can so as not to wash out the seeds from their rows for a few days.

As the seeds germinated, I was able to first pluck out handfuls of extravagant "micro-greens" to eat. Actually, I was just thinning out the rows.

I continued for a week or three more by picking out more micro, then baby greens as they grew, each time thinning the rows to allow certain head type lettuces to continue.

Finally, when head types such as Romaine, Boston Butterhead, and Bibb start to form, they were grown and picked until some started to bolt to seed in the beginning of the hotter days of summer.

The trick was to get the tomatoes and cukes to produce early enough before the lettuces ended so that we could have a proper salad entirely from the garden.

Last edited:
I thought i would post a photo from my grocery store...cole slaw and spinach, no lettuce of any sort to be had. Usually this section is full of different varieties of bagged salads featuring different greens but now cole slaw and spinach

View attachment 20876
Can't you buy it unbagged over there? We had a lettuce scare here in the UK a wile ago, all relating to bagged lettuce, The sealed bags make a perfect environment for the proliferation of nasty bugs, so now it recommended to wash all bagged leaves. Why bother with the bags in the first place?

Can't you buy it unbagged over there? We had a lettuce scare here in the UK a wile ago, all relating to bagged lettuce, The sealed bags make a perfect environment for the proliferation of nasty bugs, so now it recommended to wash all bagged leaves. Why bother with the bags in the first place?

Of course we can. Bagged is for convenience and I'd hazard a guess that very, very few people wash bagged lettuce, as that would defeat them buying the bagged in the first place.

Of course we can. Bagged is for convenience and I'd hazard a guess that very, very few people wash bagged lettuce, as that would defeat them buying the bagged in the first place.

The bags in which salad is sold here have little round holes in them. I've no idea why.

All the lettuce is gone bagged or unbagged...not sure if the rest of the lettuce is missing cause everyone bought it or they pulled it too.

Another photo of another store...all they had were a few bags of kale...i want just some lettuce for my sandwich. lol
73916AE0-267C-4921-BE77-B77FE041EB1C.jpeg

Finally lettuce is filtering back into stores. Last night the store had 2 choices: iceberg shreds and one type bagged salad they were calling iceberg classic still no heads tho

Back
Top Bottom