NON Rad Ravioli!

djd103

Local time
3:19 PM
I am new to the forum so I beg your patience.

My dilemma is that my RadRavioli came out leathery and tougher than I hoped for. Yes, it was store bought ravioli, but I made my sauce from scratch. The "destructions" on the package tho, said to boil water, then place the ravioli in the water and boil for 5 to 7 minutes (I added a bit of salt and garlic powder on my own) and then let stand a few minutes more, then strain off the water. But when I taste tested the ravioli, the skin was leathery and tough, not near the texture my mom's use to be.

Where did I flub, or was the store bought choice the wrong way to go? I realize perfecting a dough for homemade ravioli is the way to go of course, but I guessed that quality was more the contents inside than the dough, so I went with a store bought brand. My cooking skills for a 63 year old man are not par for home Italian from the garden to the pot to the table, so.

thanks for the help in advance.

Ps: Thankfully, my sauce came out great BTW, if I may say so without sounding egotistical. But the shoe leather dough was a detractor from the dish for sure.

Welcome! Was the ravioli fresh? We make homemade ravioli and the final dough is quite thin (#5 on our pasta machine). We only add salt to the boiling water. Some brand names are better than others when it comes to store bought fresh pasta and it could have been the pasta and not something you did.

Back
Top Bottom