Non-recyclable food packaging

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
9:16 AM
All over the UK news this morning - apparently, two thirds of all plastic trays used in food packaging are not recyclable. The main problem seems to be plastics that contain polypropylene - fruit and veg punnets, margarine tubs, yoghurt pots etc. There are alternatives available that can be recycled more easily, but they are more expensive and there is no incentive for producers and supermarkets to use them. Other than saving the planet of course, but shareholder dividends come first.

Its quite shocking. I'm in a sort of 'despair' about this issue of plastic, world wide - not just the UK. I think tax incentives to use recyclable plastic would be a good idea.

I hate shopping in supermarkets for the amount of waste is appalling. I stand between the fridge and food cupboard with the bin open and the recycling box beside me.

I prefer to use the market and local shops like butchers and use my trolly instead of bags and using the car, but don't always get the chance at the moment.

There is an Australian company that produces reusable bags and packaging I have a few of their bags and bought them for family a few Christmases ago. The bags I git are made from parachute material so very strong, don't rip, and have lasted over two years so far. Look up onya.

Marazion in Cornwall has declared itself 'Plastic Free'.

All the local shops businesses have switched away from single use plastic.
We had fish and chips served in a box made from plants and according to the writing in the lid it can be composted.

A local fishmonger that I use regularly has put up a sign encouraging customers to bring their own tupperwear containers along to save using plastic bags.

Back
Top Bottom