Nostalgia - where did you hang out "Back in the Day"

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
4:46 AM
60's and 70's

High school - under 18 so no alcohol.

A&W Drive In - They served A&W root beer in frozen, heavy, glass mugs. Root beer floats. BBQ beef sandwich - shredded beef in their own BBQ sauce on a plain bun. I have never had a BBQ sandwich as good as that one.

Hoppers Drive In - the hang out spot. The food was standard drive in food - burgers, hot dogs and fries. They did make good shakes and floats. It was the place to see and be seen.

Borden's - an old school ice cream shop with booths and a counter. It is still open. Chrome stools with red vinyl seats. Black and white checked floor. 50's and 60' memorabilia. Sundaes and banana splits are still served in heavy ceramic bowls. Shakes and floats are served in heavy footed glasses.

After 18th birthday.

Dave's Top Hat Drive In
The coldest draft beer in town - served in the kind of frozen mugs that A&W used. The best curly Q fries ever. Fresh potatoes cut into curls and fried.

A block from the University is The Strip - you guessed it - bars and pool halls frequented by the students. Uncle Pete's, The Keg, Mother's Mantle and the Roof Garden were the ones we frequented most. Oh - a bar called The Library. :laugh: Mom - "Where were you so late last night" Me - "The Library". Shame on me!

On Friday nights the University Student Union had beer and oyster night. $1 for a pitcher of draft and oysters on the half shell - 10 cents each or 12 for a dollar. They lost money on me - it was not unusual for me to scarf 3 or 4 dozen.

There was a bar, dance hall in St. Martinville - just across the parish line where the cops were not very attentive to under age drinking. Signorelli's or Slick's for short. Live music and beer if you were tall enough to put your quarter on the bar. I would spend the night with my best friend - going to the movie and Hoppers. Sorry Mom. We would jump into her old Ford pick-up and head to Slick's. Old man Signorelli sat outside the door checking IDs. Of course we had fakes - not even good ones. Did not matter. We were 17 at the time. I look back and marvel that we survived - the road was very curvy with a couple of killer curves - one in particular was call dead man's curve.

So - what about you?

I couldn't resist looking up that ice cream shop. Wonderful retro!

Bordens-1852-600x450.jpg

In the 60's things were pretty miserable [don't care what the newsreels say - the swinging 60's didn't happen much outside London and maybe not so much even there for most people]. We were lucky to get to the Wimpy Bar [burgers only] - drive ins - banana splits - sundaes were pretty much all fantasies. By the 70's things were better but we were still years behind you guys in the States although at the time it seemed pretty ok and we finally did have places to go and money to spend.

We used to hang out at a place called "Sir Pizza" when I was in high school. Back then we (males) where facing the draft. I was not eligible because My older brothers were in the military (navy and army) during the Vietnam conflict. Drinking age was 18. Certain, recreational Pharmaceuticals were available back then and I experimented with a few. Being new to cooking, I struggled through a few years of experimental cooking.

On our way home from school, we used to hang out in the Beachcomber coffee bar (rocker joint!) which was in the row of shops next to the station. Friday evenings we spent at the Sombrero (mods only), and Sunday afternoons and early evenings were spent at La Sorcière, which let anyone in providing they had some cash :laugh: I worked there when I was 15, and that job provided some spending mbsoney for when I was in Austria. Later on my regular haunts comprised of many pubs between Brentwood and Stratford :whistling: Some had folk clubs upstairs; others didn't :D Plus, for a while, there were a few pubs around Stuttgart.

Last edited:
Pizza Village - locally owned pizza joint. The place to go after a football game or school dance.
Later La Fonda's was the see and be seen place. Food was average but the margaritas were great. Always jammed and loud.

Marseille Vieux Port at Weekends while attending Hospitality & Turisim & Management Courses, in Le Cordón Bleu, Paris ..

MARSEILLEGRAFITTI11539616_521441171336561_3784314830793055720_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom