not too fishy

foodlover

Veteran
Local time
11:39 AM
hi all, i do enjoy some fish but im not a massive fan of really 'fishy' fish. i love prawns and things like cod and salmon but i have never really ventured out and tried other fish as im worried i will find them too fishy and not enjoy them which would obviously then be a waste of money..
so can anyone recommend anything that i might like that isnt too fishy? and is also a decent price?
thanks guys:)

hi all, i do enjoy some fish but im not a massive fan of really 'fishy' fish. i love prawns and things like cod and salmon but i have never really ventured out and tried other fish as im worried i will find them too fishy and not enjoy them which would obviously then be a waste of money..
so can anyone recommend anything that i might like that isnt too fishy? and is also a decent price?
thanks guys:)
The idea of eating fish that isn't too fishy is a little bit odd! :D I don't know where you are based (please add location! How to add your location to below your avatar). Here in UK we can get monkfish which is a firm fleshed fish and tastes wonderful in my opinion. Your question is really dependent on your location.

I understand what you mean by that fishy, we call it Malansa - that fishy smell and sometimes fishy taste. Small fishes are normally fish when unwashed. What we do is to wash the fish 3 times and make sure the innards are taken out and no reddish (blood) color remains. And if the fish still has the fishy smell, we would add crushed ginger to deaden the fishy smell and taste as well. Even in broiled fish, we add crushed ginger that is mixed with the garnishings of onion, tomatoes and pepper.

I hope this helps.

sorry im from the UK, il add it to my profile now! il have to give monkfish a go and see what i think:)
id never heard of adding crushed ginger corzhens but i will definitely give it a shot, thankyou.

You can actually mask the fishy taste of just about any fish by first soaking it in buttermilk overnight. We do this to catfish when we eat it because if you dont, it has a muddy fish flavor. Salmon has a very strong flavor so I am not sure how you included that in the list of fish you like if you are asking for fish that does not taste fishy

Fishy? That's interesting and I honestly am not sure I understand. I can't even write here what 'fishy' can mean around here but moving along, I think tilapia is a easy to work with and hopefully not too 'fishy' fish. Around here the only 'fishy' fish I can think of is red herring which many don't even like to cook because you can smell it from a mile away. Tuna, blue marlin, dolphin and flying are the kinds I would also recommend based on my own experience.

Back
Top Bottom