Nourish bowls, power bowls etc. What do you think of the concept?

Bowls aren't that bad, it's bad chefs who make bad bowls. And as bad chefs usually work in low price places they usually make most of the bowls. I made bowls for 2 month and I'm happy to not do them anymore. The ingredients were not organic, did fly around the globe and so the bowls were just advertised as being healthy. In fact they're 90% water, a lot of dressing and the proteins I had to give were measured at 70g/0,15lb. I gave the customers more, as the bowls looked pretty sad without some meat.

I would prefer kebab or Falafel.
If you want to eat healthy look for fresh organic herbs, they're packed with vitamins and secondary substances, that are good for you.

Not so new - it came into vogue about 10 years ago.

The Strange Mystery Of Who Made Kale Famous ... And WhyMindBodyGreenhttps://www.mindbodygreen.com › articles › who-made-...

What I find amusing is the 'bowl' concept. I'm pretty sure this has come from the 'Buddha bowl' (which is also a marketing invention) and dates back at least 10 years.

Why Do We Keep Calling Things Buddha Bowls?.

I'm all for plates myself...

Buddha bowls are the same thing, different name, I believe.

CD

My son is into these type of salads an he made me one. I really liked it for a few reasons. I enjoyed the way the ingredients were separated so you could enjoy the flavours and textures quite separately but also combine them as it pleased you (rather than the traditional all the salad ingredients chopped and mixed into one or two piles. It looked very pretty and food being visually appealing when it's healthy and heavy in the fruit and veg department isn't always easily achieved.
Bowl food also has a comforting 'be nice to yourself' element to it. Lastly I like that it uses only small amounts of any given ingredients so it can make using up leftovers or small amounts of fresh food that may otherwise go past their best easy.

I accompanied my wife to the supermarket today. While strolling down the freezer aisle I noticed something called "Power Bowl" in one of the freezers. The package photos looked like frozen salads. There were a half dozen versions and two different brands. So they are a thing. I'm not a customer for frozen prepared meals so I didn't put one in the cart.

Occasionally we have what we call a chicken tossed salad for dinner. It is a tossed salad with a variety of fruits and vegetables covered with panko fried chicken tender strips and salad dressing. It may qualify as a power bowl. Can't say for sure since I'm no expert. We also make a dish of spaghetti topped with a variety of sauteed vegetables and salad dressing. We don't put meat on that one so it may not qualify. I'll let others decide.

The internet has a bunch of recipes for power bowls for those who want to take the leap.

I accompanied my wife to the supermarket today. While strolling down the freezer aisle I noticed something called "Power Bowl" in one of the freezers. The package photos looked like frozen salads. There were a half dozen versions and two different brands. So they are a thing. I'm not a customer for frozen prepared meals so I didn't put one in the cart.

Occasionally we have what we call a chicken tossed salad for dinner. It is a tossed salad with a variety of fruits and vegetables covered with panko fried chicken tender strips and salad dressing. It may qualify as a power bowl. Can't say for sure since I'm no expert. We also make a dish of spaghetti topped with a variety of sauteed vegetables and salad dressing. We don't put meat on that one so it may not qualify. I'll let others decide.

The internet has a bunch of recipes for power bowls for those who want to take the leap.
No meat is fine if there are other proteins in it. SatNavSaysStraightOn is a vegan (except for an occasional egg from her own chooks).

Lastly I like that it uses only small amounts of any given ingredients so it can make using up leftovers or small amounts of fresh food that may otherwise go past their best easy.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone, somewhere tossed a bunch of leftovers in a bowl, put it on TikTok, and called it a Power Bowl. And it went viral! :laugh:

CD

And for those who expect protein in bowls, I've seen bowls without. One with 5x15g/0,5oz small Falafel as protein (100g/3,5oz= 6,2g/0,2ozP; 75g/2,6oz = 4,6g/0,16ozProtein per serving), what is a joke when you advertise it with "selected high quality protein".
Another without any basic carbs, just some root vegetables, salad and a tiny portion of fried potatoes.
It's not a big issue, but it's lying, when you advertise complete meals and don't point out that it's especially for low carb diets.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the origin was a Hawaiian poke bowl, or a Vietnamese style dish. All the vegetables are neatly arranged in order, and not mixed up.
As for how much protein each bowl has, well that's up to who prepares it!

Did some more math. I would have to eat 17 falafel bowls to get my daily amount of 80g/2,8oz of protein. The funny thing, if there wouldn't be more carbs in the Falafel bowl, it would also reach my daily need of carbs...and roughly 3kg/66lb of veggies

Back
Top Bottom