Nutty about nuts!

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
6:24 PM
[Mod.edit: This and a number of following posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]
Sorry. In Dutch southern US is also called South America, it's confusing
I just looked up all the nuts in the world (excluding those that are in politics :laugh: :laugh: )
Pecans come from Mexico and Southern USA. Brazil nuts, peanuts and Cashew nuts, from Brazil/Venezuela.
Walnuts, pine nuts and chestnuts - northern hemisphere, ie. Europe.
Almonds from Iran and pistachios from central Asia.
Macadamia nuts from Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:
The UK does hazelnuts too.
And Hawaii
Oh yeah - there's no doubt they've spread across the world. I know that hazelnuts/cobnuts grow in the UK, and across many countries in Europe.
And I can't be sure whether macadamias grow in Hawaii, but I believe they originated in Australia.
We've got them in Venezuela, curiously enough. They're used for shading coffee plants!

I just looked up all the nuts in the world (excluding those that are in politics :laugh: :laugh: )
Pecans come from Mexico and Southern USA. Brazil nuts, peanuts and Cashew nuts, from Brazil/Venezuela.
Walnuts, pine nuts and chestnuts - northern hemisphere, ie. Europe.
Almonds from Iran and pistachios from central Asia.
Macadamia nuts from Australia.
I just never read up on it so thank you for educating me 😊

I just never read up on it so thank you for educating me 😊
I love discovering food history.
The cashew for example (in Brazil it's called cajú) is very common in South eastern Venezuela - it's called Merey, and the area where they grow is right next to Brazil.Looks like the Brazilians were quick to capitalise on the commodity whilst the Venezuelans sat back and basked in the sun!

Oh yeah - there's no doubt they've spread across the world. I know that hazelnuts/cobnuts grow in the UK, and across many countries in Europe.
And I can't be sure whether macadamias grow in Hawaii, but I believe they originated in Australia.
We've got them in Venezuela, curiously enough. They're used for shading coffee plants!
They grow just fine in Hawaii. Hawaii is the source for the macadamias we get here in the U.S. or so says the packaging. Those and cashews are my favorites. I'm motivated to work up a recipe using them.

I've got a Dutch friend here who is a professional chocolatier. He makes a macadamia and chocolate tart which is just sublime. You'll understand the Spanish, but all you have to do is look at the product :D :D

Sander's Macadamia Tart
Beautiful. I could eat those in excess. :) Sweets are the natural use for nuts of every sort including macadamias. I was thinking of something savory. I'll think about it more. Thanks for the suggestion.

You're welcome!
I try to avoid buying Macadamia nuts because they're like crack cocaine . Once I open the packet, I can't stop eating them. They're utterly addictive.
I'm like that with pistachios.
Beautiful. I could eat those in excess. :) Sweets are the natural use for nuts of every sort including macadamias. I was thinking of something savory. I'll think about it more. Thanks for the suggestion.
I love white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies!

Welcome to the club, both of you. I have to buy pistachios in the shell, If I don't I eat them by the handful.
I put shelled pistachios, along with dried cranberries and goat cheese (or feta), on my field greens salad with vinaigrette. Delicious and a great way to increase your protein and fiber.

Back
Top Bottom