Recipe Octopus and prawn Greek salad

Discussion in 'Fish and Seafood' started by Herbie, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

I made this a while ago but came across the photo. Must make it again as it was delicious. My recipe was not precise

Octopussalad.jpeg

For the Octopus:
    1 octopus
    bay leaf splash apple cider vinegar three garlic cloves.
    Olive oil

For the salad:
    1 red onion
    1/3 cucumber
    red pepper
    yellow pepper
    handful of black olives
    salt
    olive oil
    lemon juice

And the rest:
    8 prawns
    fresh oregano

Clean the octopus. (If you have not done this before I advise watching a youtube video as I did. And wear rubber gloves until you have removed the ink).
    Boil a pot of water and add a splash of vinegar, a couple of cloves of garlic and a bay leaf. Simmer the octopus in the water until tender. Cool and pop in the fridge for 24 hours. Bring to room temperature.
    Dice the veg and mix in black olives. Dress with lemon juice and olive oil and season with salt.
    Chop up the octopus.
    heat a griddle with olive oil until hot. Add octopus so it caramelises. (Do this in batches.
    Add the prawns at the end to warm.
    Mix together and garnish with fresh oregano.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    CraigC and MypinchofItaly like this.
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

That is a very pretty plate indeed. Sourcing an octopus might be a problem though, here - do you think squid would work?

Presume you mean simmer the octopus in the water? Why is it left 24 hrs in the fridge? Just curious.

3. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

I get octopus from Morrisons. Ask them to get some in for you. I was supreme to see it for sale here. I first saw it on a Sunday and the fishmonger said I was lucky they had some left. Apparently it is popular with the Chinese community and Sunday seems to be the day everyone buys octopus!

I assume leaving it let's it relax before being griddled

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  4. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

Squid would definitely work but I don't think it care aliases so well. With the octopus you can cook it longer.

5. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

I've recently started on-line shopping at Morrisons so I will look. What they stock in the local branch may well be influenced by the local population so not sur my Morrisons would be the same. But I'll certainly look.

6. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

Cuttlefish would work better than squid, but that is probably even more difficult to get hold of. My mother-in-law used to make a Portuguese octopus salad and a cuttlefish salad so I'll have to look those up and give them a go.

7. swasthika

swasthika Regular Member

Octopus with Prawn? Was it good uh? K lemme try and rely u on the same by tomorrow.