Recipe Octopus and prawn Greek salad

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
4:59 PM
I made this a while ago but came across the photo. Must make it again as it was delicious. My recipe was not precise

Octopussalad.jpeg

For the Octopus:
1 octopus
bay leaf splash apple cider vinegar three garlic cloves.
Olive oil

For the salad:
1 red onion
1/3 cucumber
red pepper
yellow pepper
handful of black olives
salt
olive oil
lemon juice

And the rest:
8 prawns
fresh oregano

Clean the octopus. (If you have not done this before I advise watching a youtube video as I did. And wear rubber gloves until you have removed the ink).
Boil a pot of water and add a splash of vinegar, a couple of cloves of garlic and a bay leaf. Simmer the octopus in the water until tender. Cool and pop in the fridge for 24 hours. Bring to room temperature.
Dice the veg and mix in black olives. Dress with lemon juice and olive oil and season with salt.
Chop up the octopus.
heat a griddle with olive oil until hot. Add octopus so it caramelises. (Do this in batches.
Add the prawns at the end to warm.
Mix together and garnish with fresh oregano.

Last edited:
That is a very pretty plate indeed. Sourcing an octopus might be a problem though, here - do you think squid would work?

Boil a pot of water and add a splash of vinegar, a couple of cloves of garlic and a bay leaf. Simmer until tender. Cool and pop in the fridge for 24 hours. Bring to room temperature.

Presume you mean simmer the octopus in the water? Why is it left 24 hrs in the fridge? Just curious.

I get octopus from Morrisons. Ask them to get some in for you. I was supreme to see it for sale here. I first saw it on a Sunday and the fishmonger said I was lucky they had some left. Apparently it is popular with the Chinese community and Sunday seems to be the day everyone buys octopus!

I assume leaving it let's it relax before being griddled

Last edited:
I get octopus from Morrisons. Ask them to get some in for you. I was supreme to see it for sale here. I first saw it on a Sunday and the fishmonger said I was lucky they had some left. Apparently it is popular with the Chinese community and Sunday seems to be the day everyone buys octopus!

I assume leaving it let's it relax before being griddled

I've recently started on-line shopping at Morrisons so I will look. What they stock in the local branch may well be influenced by the local population so not sur my Morrisons would be the same. But I'll certainly look.

Cuttlefish would work better than squid, but that is probably even more difficult to get hold of. My mother-in-law used to make a Portuguese octopus salad and a cuttlefish salad so I'll have to look those up and give them a go.

I made this a while ago but came across the photo. Must make it again as it was delicious. My recipe was not precise

View attachment 18373

For the Octopus:
1 octopus
bay leaf splash apple cider vinegar three garlic cloves.
Olive oil

For the salad:
1 red onion
1/3 cucumber
red pepper
yellow pepper
handful of black olives
salt
olive oil
lemon juice

And the rest:
8 prawns
fresh oregano

Clean the octopus. (If you have not done this before I advise watching a youtube video as I did. And wear rubber gloves until you have removed the ink).
Boil a pot of water and add a splash of vinegar, a couple of cloves of garlic and a bay leaf. Simmer the octopus in the water until tender. Cool and pop in the fridge for 24 hours. Bring to room temperature.
Dice the veg and mix in black olives. Dress with lemon juice and olive oil and season with salt.
Chop up the octopus.
heat a griddle with olive oil until hot. Add octopus so it caramelises. (Do this in batches.
Add the prawns at the end to warm.
Mix together and garnish with fresh oregano.
Octopus with Prawn? Was it good uh? K lemme try and rely u on the same by tomorrow.

I can get fresh Gulf seafood all day long. I can get live lobster, clams and mollusk. Salmon, halibut and other north Atlantic and North Pacific fish are previously frozen. My best bet is to stick with locally sourced, fresh Gulf seafood. Too bad it is not crawfish season.

Back
Top Bottom