Odd Supermarket Behavior

Oh, another one is when someone is at the counter to pay and can't seem to bring themselves to stop their conversation on their cell phone for 1 FREAKIN' MINUTE, so they clumsily juggle their money while talking away, pinching their shoulder up to hold the phone.Then they drop the phone, pick it up and apologize to the person on the other end, then ask the cashier how much it was again. And then continue the cell phone conversation, and repeat the process again.

With you on that one, it is so rude.

1 - people who suddenly stop dead in the aisle to answer the phone/ring up to check what they want.
2 - sorry ladies but - the number of female shoppers who seem to think they don't have to pay and wait until the entire load is checked and bagged and in the trolley BEFORE even thinking about looking for a purse / money / credit card / store loyalty card / money off vouchers [off to hide in the bunker now]
3 - The zombie apocalypse HAS happened - just walk around any supermarket and you will see them
4 - children - do they really need to park so close to the store ? Ok I accept a wider parking bay [pushchairs etc] BUT locally it seems the disabled parking spaces are at the far end of the car park and mummy and daddy only have to push little darling a few yards. I have seen many elderly and disabled struggling with wheel chairs while relatively fit 20 somethings simply carry tiny offspring the few yards into the store. Further you choose to have children - disability and age are not life choices. [sorry for the little rant there].

1 - people who suddenly stop dead in the aisle to answer the phone/ring up to check what they want.
2 - sorry ladies but - the number of female shoppers who seem to think they don't have to pay and wait until the entire load is checked and bagged and in the trolley BEFORE even thinking about looking for a purse / money / credit card / store loyalty card / money off vouchers [off to hide in the bunker now]
3 - The zombie apocalypse HAS happened - just walk around any supermarket and you will see them
4 - children - do they really need to park so close to the store ? Ok I accept a wider parking bay [pushchairs etc] BUT locally it seems the disabled parking spaces are at the far end of the car park and mummy and daddy only have to push little darling a few yards. I have seen many elderly and disabled struggling with wheel chairs while relatively fit 20 somethings simply carry tiny offspring the few yards into the store. Further you choose to have children - disability and age are not life choices. [sorry for the little rant there].

My dad's local Morrisons store have parent spaces closer to the main entrance than disabled spaces. When mum was alive they regularly parked in the parents spaces, closer to the door and more of them.

Hard to say as I've never been in an American supermarket!
All the examples of bad behavior were from Americans on this forum when I asked the question. After seeing more posts from the other side of the pond, it seems clear: bad behavior is not an American trait...it’s a human trait.

On the other hand there is good behaviour. In my local Aldi if you only have a few items in a basket then people in the queue with trollies full often say 'you go ahead of me'.

I can't stand the fingernail marks in fruit. Little arcs cut into the skin of the fruit to see how ripe it is.

And I have no problem moving people's carts out of the way. If someone really abuses it, it's been known to have the stranded cart moved to an entirely different aisle.
You could always add something to their cart for them, hidden under other stuff :devil:

Don't get started! My real peeve is kids out of parental control!:devil: There are so many clueless parents that don't realize that many of their kids just might end up being cart "hood ornaments". Good thing I have great peripheral vision or the grocery isles would be a slaughter house.

I have never worked out why people take their kids to the supermarket just to slap them.:rolleyes:.

My pet hate has to be mobile phones, either those who park themselves mid aisle to carry on a shouted conversation, or the ones who talk on the phone wnilst the cashier is doing their job, very rude.

Last edited:
On the other hand there is good behaviour. In my local Aldi if you only have a few items in a basket then people in the queue with trollies full often say 'you go ahead of me'.

We experienced this in our local Aldi, a retited lady with a full trolley invited us to go first as we had about 5 things, very polite lady.

Here’s one that’s not just confined to supermarkets. I can’t believe how many people can’t leave their dogs at home. They leave them in the car, and part of me wants to break into the car to let the pets out, or at least open the window so they can breathe and they don’t die. I guess they really love their dogs. :meh:

Last edited:
Come, come, now. Let's not continue to beat up on the poor reactants. They can't help it that they never learned to respond instead of reacting. We aren't going to wake them up.

I really hate lining up in the express lane with less than 6 items and some old biddy or guy get their goods scanned then..... Decide to get their purse out of their bag and take forever to find some money. God I hate that.

Russ

I really hate lining up in the express lane with less than 6 items and some old biddy or guy get their goods scanned then..... Decide to get their purse out of their bag and take forever to find some money. God I hate that.

Russ

I know what what you mean - but we might all be there one day! I know that I'm slower now to find the right coins than I was ten years ago. Thank God for contactless payment. I don't know if you have it there (or indeed in the US) but here it is available for amounts up to £30. You just hold your card over the machine and hey presto! I use it all the time.

Here’s one that’s not just confined to supermarkets. I can’t believe how many people can’t leave their dogs at home. They leave them in the car, and part of me wants to break into the car to let the pets out, or at least open the window so they can breathe and they don’t die. I guess they really love their dogs. :meh:

That's illegal in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom