Odd Supermarket Behavior

Yep, we have had several deaths of children as well that were either accidentally left in a vehicle or deliberately left so a dirtbag parent or guardian could go drink, shop, gamble, etc., instead of paying for a sitter.

I know what what you mean - but we might all be there one day! I know that I'm slower now to find the right coins than I was ten years ago. Thank God for contactless payment. I don't know if you have it there (or indeed in the US) but here it is available for amounts up to £30. You just hold your card over the machine and hey presto! I use it all the time.

Yeah we have pay wave here, if I'm walking up to the till, I have money in my hand, and normally cash. I try to think ahead, not get there then get bag out. After all it's not hard . And don't get me started on old people in wee cars.!!

1. People standing in the middle of the aisle to have a chat.
2. Checkout assistants who chat over you/don't acknowledge you as you are being served.
3. Children running around, getting in the way.
4. Parents who think I have to indulge their children - I don't.

My wife thinks I'm slightly odd in supermarkets. I have this thing about loading items from the trolley onto the conveyor belt in a logical sequence - the same sequence I intend to load them into the shopping bags - heavy things first through to delicate breakables last. This way I can keep up with the cashier, and nothing gets broken. A lot of people seem to load up the conveyor belt randomly, and then end up trying to sort an ever growing pile after scanning, whilst holding up the queue.

I agree with all of the comments above about annoying behaviour, but find it helps to shop at quiet times to minimise the impact.

I guess I'm in the minority here when it comes to children. I love seeing little ones shopping with their parents, even when they're not little angels.

I often make faces at kids when I'm on line behind mom or dad and they're looking back.. It's fun to watch their reactions, usually a look of wonder, then a smile or laugh. Eventually, the parent starts to catch on that there's something going on with the guy behind them, and when they turn to look, I just go straight faced and otherwise occupied.
When the parent turns back, more faces. Kids love it.

My wife thinks I'm slightly odd in supermarkets. I have this thing about loading items from the trolley onto the conveyor belt in a logical sequence - the same sequence I intend to load them into the shopping bags - heavy things first through to delicate breakables last. This way I can keep up with the cashier, and nothing gets broken. A lot of people seem to load up the conveyor belt randomly, and then end up trying to sort an ever growing pile after scanning, whilst holding up the queue.

I agree with all of the comments above about annoying behaviour, but find it helps to shop at quiet times to minimise the impact.

That's the way we load, except we also keep cold things with cold, non-food with non-food items, veges together, etc.

We rarely go to the supermarket to do the shopping any more, though we have to brave it once a month to take the mother in law (who refuses to let us organise an online shop for her - even though she only ever buys the same things!). We try to be as efficient as possible though so that means using the scan-as-you-shop handsets whenever possible so we can pack as we go along.

My biggest pet peeve: the obviously retired people who do their shopping (very slowly) at the weekend. If I didn't have to work then I'd be doing my shopping during the week when its quieter...why subject yourself to the zoo that is a supermarket on a Saturday unless you really have to? They also tend to be the ones who give you a dirty look or pretend not to hear you when you politely ask them to move their trolley that they've left sticking out at 45 degrees so we can get the mother in law's wheelchair past.
I have to admit to occasionally leaving the trolley at the end of the aisle whilst I go to fetch something though - I'd no idea that people found it annoying :oops: Usually its when we've forgotten something and need to go back for it - its much quicker to leave the trolley behind and go on my own as I can fit through smaller gaps than the trolley! Sometime too if the is aisle rammed with people and trolleys or blocked with staff stacking shelves another trolley down there is the last thing needed. I try to leave it tucked away if I can next to a pillar or something so its not too much in the way and if someone needs to move it to get the shelf they are more than welcome to.

Last Friday: activities of person we shall refer to as "Imbecile" in local Co-op.

Imbecile was in the queue for check-out in front of me. All that Imbecile was buying was one sandwich and one packet of crisps. For this, Imbecile apparently required a carrier bag (cost 5p). Having paid and put said items into carrier bag, Imbecile left the store just in front of me (I had been served at another till). Once outside the shop, Imbecile removed items from carrier bag and promptly threw the bag into a litter bin.

You really do feel like strolling up to some people and asking, "How does it feel to be dead from the neck up?"

Supermarkets are actually a great place to 'people watch'. All sorts of bewildering behaviour on display, ranging from the highly amusing to the downright annoying. Does anyone else re-arrange the mugs with letters on to form rude words? Or set the egg timers to go off at one minute intervals (when you can get past the packaging)? OK, there may be a little part of my personality that is still 10 years old :whistling:

I actually set up a marriage from an encounter in a super market. About 20 years ago I was shopping with my wife and the guy behind me I knew as he worked next to where I worked. We were chatting to the check out chick and I introduced them to each other. I left them chatting and left. A saw him about a week later and he said he had taken her out. He left his job and I never saw him until about 2 years later. He was now married to the girl,,he thanked me for setting it up. True story, btw, I love to talk and I'm quite cheeky with it, hence my nick name rascal.

Russ

My real peeve about supermarkets is where you see someone go up to an item - for example, a tub of cream cheese - take the lid off, scoop some out to taste it, and then put the tub back on the shelf. Absolutely disgusting, and yet another reason why I do not normally buy my food from a supermarket but mainly only use it for non-food items, and even then I usually shop on-line.

I can’t believe how many people can’t leave their dogs at home.

I very occasionally have my dog with me when I go to any shop and leave him in the car, but it's usually when I'm on my way home and will only be when I want one or two specific items that I can grab, pay for and get out very quickly, or when I go to get petrol on my way out somewhere. I don't leave him in the car if it is very hot or very cold out. I have been known to take him up to the security guard on the door of the supermarket and hand the guard his lead..... Also I have now learned which shops I can take the dog into while I do my shopping.

My biggest pet peeve: the obviously retired people who do their shopping (very slowly) at the weekend. If I didn't have to work then I'd be doing my shopping during the week when its quieter...why subject yourself to the zoo that is a supermarket on a Saturday unless you really have to?
How do you know they are retired? I am nearly 70 and no longer work, but I know plenty of people older than me who still do. If I still worked, I would rather go to the supermarket at the weekend than brave going to the ones in this area in the evenings, especially when it is dark. On one occasion recently I had to pop to our local Sainsbury's at 9.30 pm. I was approached by a group of teenagers and did not like the look of them at all. One asked me what the time was, presumably hoping I'd get my phone out to have a look. Well they were wrong - I would never get my phone out if someone asked me the time. I take an educated guess at what it is.I never carry a handbag, or a purse, and keep my debit card well and truly hidden until I need to use it. I also have the dog with me if is is late.
Going to our local Tesco's is a nightmare during the week - I can see it from my window, yet it is a two mile round trip thanks to the road layout (or a four bus journey there and back) and because of the sheer volume of traffic round our way it can take up to 2 hours to drive there and back without allowing time to do any shopping. Weekends are a lot quieter in comparison.

Last edited:
Also I have now learned which shops I can take the dog into while I do my shopping.

I only wish there were a few shops where I could take the dog as it is a nuisance if I want to buy something whilst out with the dog. The only shop which allows dogs in is (naturally enough) the pet shop. I can't really leave him tied up outside as he is a pedigree and could easily get stolen.

Back
Top Bottom