Oddball restaurants

Duck59

Guru
Local time
8:47 PM
Website
duckholiday.com
Being a fan of the quirky, I'd love to hear about restaurants that offer something a bit unusual. That can cover the type of food, the location or anything you like, as long as there is a weird element.

I can give a few examples of places I've been to:

1) The world's most northerly Indian restaurant in Reykjavik.
2) The revolving restaurant at the top of the Most Slovenského národného povstania (better known as the UFO Bridge) in Bratislava.
3) The "garlic restaurant" in Riga, where every dish (including desserts) contains garlic.
4) The restaurant in Bucharest where you can be served by a waiter rising from a coffin.
5) The tiny wooden shack on the road from Asmara to Massawa in Eritrea that has only one table, but where you can have a plate of injera and a cup of tea or coffee.

Wow, those restaurants sound very cool. By that definition I am not sure that I have been to any unusual restaurants. I have been to some where the interior was from a different era like the early 1900's maybe, the Corner Room in State College is one. I have been to revolving restaurants in Crystal City VA which has a view of the Washington skyline, and in Niagara Falls where a great view of the Falls is obtained. Cabellas an outdoor store here has a small restaurant inside where all kinds of exotic game meat is served. I think I chickened out with a Buffalo burger though.

Being a fan of the quirky, I'd love to hear about restaurants that offer something a bit unusual. That can cover the type of food, the location or anything you like, as long as there is a weird element.

I can give a few examples of places I've been to:

1) The world's most northerly Indian restaurant in Reykjavik.
2) The revolving restaurant at the top of the Most Slovenského národného povstania (better known as the UFO Bridge) in Bratislava.
3) The "garlic restaurant" in Riga, where every dish (including desserts) contains garlic.
4) The restaurant in Bucharest where you can be served by a waiter rising from a coffin.
5) The tiny wooden shack on the road from Asmara to Massawa in Eritrea that has only one table, but where you can have a plate of injera and a cup of tea or coffee.

I'm very, very impressed (and I'm wanting to use the non-existent jealous emoticon). I did once attempt to go to the Monastery in Exile restaurant in Edinburgh and was turned away :cry: See: https://jonnymcfarlane.wordpress.co...taurant-aghtamar-lake-van-monastery-in-exile/

I'm very, very impressed (and I'm wanting to use the non-existent jealous emoticon). I did once attempt to go to the Monastery in Exile restaurant in Edinburgh and was turned away :cry: See: https://jonnymcfarlane.wordpress.co...taurant-aghtamar-lake-van-monastery-in-exile/
Im Jealous.gif

There was also the restaurant in Tallinn where we could, had we desired, have had elk vindaloo. Being vegetarians, we settled for the mousse.

I have never been to any different restaurants like you listed but they sound really interesting. I would love to check out places like that. I don't think we have any here. I know there is a cat diner in another province where you can dine with cats everywhere. It's becoming quite popular I guess.

We spend a lot of time in a family home in swanage Dorset and we do a lot of walking ,we came across this place between the coast and core castle
http://squareandcompasspub.co.uk
They only serve local pasties washed down with a home brewed cider and its rammed in the summer ,so odd and simple it's quant and unobtrusive

There was another restaurant in Bucharest (not the vampire one mentioned above) that offered "bear in mustard sauce" on the menu. I assume this did not involve the entire bear.

http://oddstuffmagazine.com/20-weird-and-unusual-restaurants-around-the-world.html
Have a look at these ,not sure about most but the German one looks like a laugh!

The German one reminded me of a pizza restaurant in Dublin where your garlic bread would be whizzed across a wire straight to your table. I can't for the life of me remember the name (it was something wacky). It's long gone - I'm talking late 1980s here.

If anyone out there knows the place, please put my aging memory out of its misery.

I have been to the revolving restaurant on top of one of the local buildings but that is about as different as I can think of in my area. I am sure there are some that I just do not know about.

The German one reminded me of a pizza restaurant in Dublin where your garlic bread would be whizzed across a wire straight to your table. I can't for the life of me remember the name (it was something wacky). It's long gone - I'm talking late 1980s here.

If anyone out there knows the place, please put my aging memory out of its misery.

Ha!

It came back to me - The Bad Ass Cafe. It still exists, though in a completely different format to when I last ate there. Looking at their website, it looks a bit rubbish these days and not in the least quirky.

Ha!

It came back to me - The Bad Ass Cafe. It still exists, though in a completely different format to when I last ate there. Looking at their website, it looks a bit rubbish these days and not in the least quirky.
We found a novel restaurant around the corner from bad ass called Pitt bros,it's a bbq smoke house style,was. Very unusual but run of the mill now but you do get a free ice cream

Back
Top Bottom