Recipe Old fashion pot roast (pressure cooked).

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
1:48 AM
Ingredients;

1 4lb chuck beef roast.
2 Tbls. veggie oil.
1/2 cup celery, chopped or sliced.
1 large onion, chopped or sliced.
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix or 1 can beef consume`.
2 cups water.
2 bay leaves.
1/2 tsp dried thyme.
6 carrots peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces.
2 or 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered.

For Gravy;

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add about 2 heaping Tbls. flour. Stir and cook to a medium brown color. Or you can make a slurry mixture with about a 1/2 cup water and 2 Tbls. flour. Shake or stid vigorously until smooth and lump-free.

Directions;

Heat cooker over medium heat. Add oil.

Lightly season meat on both sides with a little bit of salt, peppr, garlic powder and dried thyme. Brown on all sides.

Add remaining ingredients except carrots and potatoes.

Cove cooker with lid, set pressure regulator on vent pie.Bring to a pressure and lower heat so that steam is gently being emitted from jiggler valve.

Cook for about 45 minutes. Cool cooker at once. Remove lid and add carrots and potatoes. Cook for about 12 minutes or until veggies are just tender & soft.

If possible, remove meat and veggies from hot liquid and place on warm serving platter. Add roux or slurry mixture to hot liquid. Cook and stir unti thickened. Adjust seasonings if needed or desired.

Serve over hot cooked rice, mashed taters or your favorite pasta.

Enjoy!

Note: This recipe can also be done in a regular Dutch Oven on the stove, in the oven, or in your slow cooker. It is very versatile.

Cooking times may vary with your particular pressure cooker.
Attached Images
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

Mod Edit. Content Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice illistration. I might have to try this one day. I enjoy making pot rost but my mother taught me a different way.

Very nice illistration. I might have to try this one day. I enjoy making pot rost but my mother taught me a different way.

I did another one about 2 weeks ago, but not in the pressure cooker, and because of that, it seemed like forever for it to get done, and even then, it was still a little tough!!

So from now on, I'm doing it in the pressure cooker!

Yeah, most of the things that I cook, I learned at home in Mom's kitchen. But after we all left the nest, I began using some of my own ideas for doing things, and sometimes, you have to do them by trial & error.
Sort of like Catch 22 in a way. :eek:

Great pictures, thank you for sharing - it looked delicious too!

I love cooking with my Nesco electric pressure cooker. Ideally I would make something like this in an oven and cook it at like 275 degrees for 5-6 hours, because I think it develops more complex flavors as more of the fat is rendered out of the meat and some of the dry heat sneaks under the lid browning the exterior of the meat more. But when I don't have all that extra time, the pressure cooker can get this on the table in less than an hour. Plus I can cheat a little and throw the roast under the broiler a bit to get a dark brown exterior on the meat.

If the roast is too big, I will cut it in half or thirds to cook more evenly because sometimes even an hour of pressure cooking on high won't be enough to tenderize that. Also, instead of the soup mix and consomme, we just use Progresso French Onion soup in a can. It helps cut back on the saltiness. The veggies typically don't survive the cooking process, but Cooks Illustrated had a great idea - they took all the cooking liquid, and mushy veggies, and blended them in a blender then strained it into a pan and cooked it down into a gravy. The veggies thickened the gravy in place of flour. What a great way to get more use out of them, and I've been meaning to try it myself.

I've also heard that rubbing baking soda (or is it baking powder?) on the surface of the meat before pressure cooking it is supposed to cause the Malliard Reaction, or in other words cause the outside of the meat to get a dark brown color as if it had been pan seared. I have yet to try that though either.

I just watched Barefoot Contessa.

Ina Garten just did a pot roast, but she used tomatoes in it. I've never done it that way.

I always like to do it with the classic brown gravy added to it!!:hungry: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom