olive oil for frying?

I don't use olive oil very often to fry due its high cost. Rapeseed oil which is grown extensively in the UK is claimed to have the same 'healthy' properties and is what I generally use. But see here, I spotted this headline from a few years ago:

[QUOTE ]Why olive oil should be kept out of the frying pan. With scientists advising against cooking with olive oil - it is claimed to produce toxic chemicals when heated - what should you use instead?[/QUOTE]

Why-olive-oil-should-be-kept-out-of-the-frying-pan.html

I think, when most people think olive oil, they mean extra virgin olive oil. I usually avoid using EVOO for frying because of the bitterness it imparts. But, the prospect of toxic properties didn't occur to me.

On the other hand, "plain" olive oil - the not-extra, not-virgin kind - seems perfectly okay. But, as I mentioned elsewhere, my preference is usually canola oil for frying, and peanut oil for frying gigantic things like turkeys.

I think, when most people think olive oil, they mean extra virgin olive oil. I usually avoid using EVOO for frying because of the bitterness it imparts. But, the prospect of toxic properties didn't occur to me.

On the other hand, "plain" olive oil - the not-extra, not-virgin kind - seems perfectly okay. But, as I mentioned elsewhere, my preference is usually canola oil for frying, and peanut oil for frying gigantic things like turkeys.

Oh! Yes I meant extra virgin olive oil...I don't use olive oil for frying.

I use rapeseed oil generally but sometimes duck fat as it has such good flavour. One of hubby's favourite breakfasts is duck eggs fried in duck fat with warm French bread on the side to dip in.

For every link on the internet, there's another that contradicts it:

Myth Buster: Olive Oil is One of the Safest Oils for Frying and Cooking[/QUOTE]

I did a bit of research on this which I'll post up when I have more time - it seems though, that olive oil and rapeseed oil are considered about equal and are both the best sort of oil to fry with (canola is rapeseed). The difference between US canola and UK rapeseed is that in the US it can be genetically modified and more pesticides are permitted. There is a thread about it somewhere...

Maybe the pesticides contribute the flavor that I like so much? :laugh:

Personally I don't worry about these things. I have reached a certain age where it probably doesn't matter. If the damage has been done to me then its too late. :hyper:.

So I eat what I like. :D

Oh! Yes I meant extra virgin olive oil...I don't use olive oil for frying.

@MypinchofItaly & @healthy_cooking

In Spain and Italy, Extra virgin olive oil ( we are producers and exporters ), use Evoo to sauté all the time ..

I do not know any Mediterraneans who have died because of Extra virgin oil in their sautéeing processes ..

I do not Deep Fry very often .. And use same when I do for my Patatas Bravas ( Potatoes with Spicy Smoked Paprika Sauce ).

I do not use other oils .. as I do not trust their industrial processes ..

Good topic .. Thanks for posting Healthy Cooking ..

Maybe the pesticides contribute the flavor that I like so much? :laugh:

@The Late Night Gourmet,

It is very unfortunate that Monsanto pays off all the Government Officials to produce such deadly poisons and to sell such deadly horrifying chemicals.

I buy nothing and I mean nothing that is not produced naturally (uncultivated) , or Boutique Farmers or Bio or Organic ..

It is a true sin, to kill all of humanity and its wildlife and effect its food and wáter sources ..

It is very unfortunate that Monsanto pays off all the Government Officials to produce such deadly poisons and to sell such deadly horrifying chemicals.

Don't EVEN get me started on Monsanto :devil:

That is a topic that gets my blood pressure up. :banghead:

Regarding oil for frying - we rarely fry food. When we do I use peanut or canola oil. I do use olive oil to brown meat and for sautéing. Everything except "deep frying". The only thing I occasionally fry are fish and chicken.

We no longer make traditional fried turkeys. We use a Big Easy Oil less fryer. It is powered with LPG and cooks with infrared heat. The same outcome without the mess or cost of actually frying in oil. Crispy skin and delicious, juicy meat.

Last edited:
@MypinchofItaly & @healthy_cooking

In Spain and Italy, Extra virgin olive oil ( we are producers and exporters ), use Evoo to sauté all the time ..

I do not know any Mediterraneans who have died because of Extra virgin oil in their sautéeing processes ..

I do not Deep Fry very often .. And use same when I do for my Patatas Bravas ( Potatoes with Spicy Smoked Paprika Sauce ).

I do not use other oils .. as I do not trust their industrial processes ..

Good topic .. Thanks for posting Healthy Cooking ..

Being Italian and being the first producers and exporters in the the world :)p::wink: :cool:) of course I know that Evoo is the best oil for cooking, seasoning and sauteeing and is also high recommended on behalf of butter. Sometimes I use Peanuts oil instead of evoo, not bad. But evoo is better.

Back
Top Bottom