Olive Oil

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
1:40 PM
We have tried a number of olive oils here generally for cooking. Last weekend my wife found this brand in the supermarket.

Filippo Berio.

Is anyone au fait with this brand?

Filippo Berio Olive Oil s.jpg

@Yorky ...only that I'm wary of slagging off brands. I wouldn't want to offend anyone particularly
As far as I'm concerned, Filippo Berio is just another uninspiring mass-produced Euro olive oil.

I'm quite fussy about olive oil - I use it every day. There's a reasonable selection of olive oil available here - I have yet to find a decent French one, but I can get Carapelli - a decent (albeit also mass-produced) Italian olive oil, and that's my everyday olive oil.

If the only olive oil you can find where you are is Filippo Berio, then use it. Just don't expect it to be very good

If the only olive oil you can find where you are is Filippo Berio, then use it. Just don't expect it to be very good

We can get Bertolli but I thought we may try another (marginally cheaper). It's not been opened yet.

bertollioo s.jpg

Last edited:
Both Filippo Berio and Bertolli are on the supermarket shelves. The former is often advertised on TV. I think if you use it to cook then these brands are probably OK (some people might disagree). But if you are going to use it in a salad dressing then a really good one is much better.

There are so many olive oils out there and in all sorts of grades and types. It would be easy to fill a whole cupboard! I believe there are olive oil tasters who are like wine tasters.

I'm not really any sort of expert on olive oil. I buy a rock bottom cheap one from Aldi which I mainly use for cooking and otherwise I randomly choose one that looks good quality for salads - but really, I am buying blind.

I think maybe @MypinchofItaly may have some ideas on this subject.

Just look at the color and the fact that they come in a clear bottles!:eek: I buy olive oil in cans and dark colored bottles. I'll buy Italian, Greek and Spanish extra virgin for cooking, but prefer a deep green oil with sediment as a finishing oil. Some of the California oils are great!:okay: Europeans aren't stupid, they keep the best for themselves and pretty much leave what they don't want for export.:rolleyes:

That happens to be their "light" version, which has a higher smoking point for frying. It's not meant to really impart any olive oil flavour.

It's really just meant to be a healthier alternative for frying over other high temp oils such as corn or peanut.

We have better olive oils for use raw (salads, finishing drizzle, etc.), and we use grapeseed oil for most frying, although we'll buy the light oil if we can't find grapeseed.

Just look at the color and the fact that they come in a clear bottles!:eek: I buy olive oil in cans and dark colored bottles. I'll buy Italian, Greek and Spanish extra virgin for cooking, but prefer a deep green oil with sediment as a finishing oil. Some of the California oils are great!:okay: Europeans aren't stupid, they keep the best for themselves and pretty much leave what they don't want for export.:rolleyes:

Right. It is advisable to buy the oil in the dark bottles because the dark has a better shielding power, so the oil is better preserved.

Both Filippo Berio and Bertolli are on the supermarket shelves. The former is often advertised on TV. I think if you use it to cook then these brands are probably OK (some people might disagree). But if you are going to use it in a salad dressing then a really good one is much better.

There are so many olive oils out there and in all sorts of grades and types. It would be easy to fill a whole cupboard! I believe there are olive oil tasters who are like wine tasters.

I'm not really any sort of expert on olive oil. I buy a rock bottom cheap one from Aldi which I mainly use for cooking and otherwise I randomly choose one that looks good quality for salads - but really, I am buying blind.

I think maybe @MypinchofItaly may have some ideas on this subject.

Considering the fact that it is recommended to buy oil in dark bottles - vd. answer to craig - Filippo Berio is an oil that I do not know why it reminds me of something not really good. In Italy it is found on the shelves below and is never advertised. Bertolli yes. Oil is one of those products for which I prefer to spend a little more. It must be good. And I use it both for seasoning and for frying something, sometimes even in replace of butter for risotti.
Puglia is the Italian region that stands out for the production of oil, then followed by Tuscany, Umbria and Liguria (but also Sardinia defends well).
I am fortunate to have some relatives who from the Puglia sometimes bring me the "local" oil. dark green color, pasty consistency and with a strong, almost spicy flavor. You would almost drink it - or eat it as well.
Among the oils from supermarket are excellent in my opinion Oil Agridè (Pugliese) - I have no idea if you can find in the UK or US or elsewhere - and Monini Oil (I think it is from Umbria, not sure) and another sardinian oil (I don't remember the name now, but remember the price, 11 euros 1lt.!)

Yes, there are also tasters of oil in addition to those of wine.

Last edited:
I remember reading an article about olive oil production fairly recently. If I remember correctly, Berio are like the Coca Cola of olive oil producers. I think they have been fined both in Italy and the US for not being totally honest with the provenance of their oils. Google is your friend :)

I remember reading an article about olive oil production fairly recently. If I remember correctly, Berio are like the Coca Cola of olive oil producers. I think they have been fined both in Italy and the US for not being totally honest with the provenance of their oils. Google is your friend :)

Ah ok! Then there was something unclear .. unfortunately the oil is one of those products that together with the grain, can be counterfeit like nothing.

We have tried a number of olive oils here generally for cooking. Last weekend my wife found this brand in the supermarket.

Filippo Berio.

Is anyone au fait with this brand?

View attachment 18992

I used to use that brand.

But since I've been deep frying at times, I use canola oil, or soy bean oil. They both can tolerate the extremely high heat associated with deep frying without smoking. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom