Olive Oil

The Filippo Berio oil pictured above was the equivalent of € 10.50.

Not sure quite what you mean by the 'equivalent' of 10.50 euros

But anyone paying that within Europe has been well and truly ripped off. That's shockingly over-priced

Equivalent in terms of Thai currency - a lot of imported goods are highly priced there.

I'm sure that's true - which is why the comparison to the oil quoted by @MypinchofItaly is completely meaningless. She was talking about a price in euros within the EU. An oil priced at 11 euros here (in the EU) would be a much better quality oil than the Filippo Berio (or it simply wouldn't sell).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure that's true - which is why the comparison to the oil quoted by @MypinchofItaly is completely meaningless. She was talking about a price in euros within the EU. An oil priced at 11 euros here (in the EU) would be a much better quality oil than the Filippo Berio (or it simply wouldn't sell).

Not exactly meaningless. What would I be paying for the Sardinian oil here if Filippo Berio is priced at € 10.50?

Last edited:
What would I be paying for the Sardinian oil here if Filippo Berio is priced at € 10.50?

You could Google any well-known European supermarket chain and get an instant 'real' price for the Filippo Berio bottle that you found locally.

You could then use a simple calculation to answer your own question.

You could Google any well-known European supermarket chain and get an instant 'real' price for the Filippo Berio bottle that you found locally.

You could then use a simple calculation to answer your own question.

It was a rhetorical question.

Just out of interest, I checked the price of Filippo Berio "light" olive oil and it's £ 8.50/litre in Sainsbury's store, UK.

I used to use that brand.

But since I've been deep frying at times, I use canola oil, or soy bean oil. They both can tolerate the extremely high heat associated with deep frying without smoking. :wink:

We used to use soy bean or sunflower oil for deep frying but are currently trying canola which has only recently appeared on the shelves.

It was a rhetorical question.

But sufficiently interesting to post?

Leaves us with a dilemma. How do we know that when you ask a question, you don't actually want - or expect - an answer?

Perhaps you could colour-differentiate your rhetorical questions. A perfect colour for a Yorkist would be white (as in the rose).

@morning glory - could we have a moderator ruling on this please? I'd like to suggest that - as a forum rule - @Yorky (and any others who choose to do so) should post their 'rhetorical' questions in white on the forum - that way, it would be clear that no answer is needed.

@morning glory - could we have a moderator ruling on this please? I'd like to suggest that - as a forum rule - @Yorky (and any others who choose to do so) should post their 'rhetorical' questions in white on the forum - that way, it would be clear that no answer is needed.

I agree.

Subject post edited to reflect potential new rule.

Last edited:

<Sighs> Insignificant little misunderstandings happen all the time in text based conversations. Life's too short to worry about them.

Countless times I've misunderstood what someone has meant (not just rhetorical questions). They soon put me right! Using the emoticons can sometimes help. For example if a comment is meant humorously but could be read as serious - adding a smiling or laughing icon can help clarify.

Back
Top Bottom