• 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 2 fresh green chilies, finely chopped
  • 200 ml water
  • oil (for deep frying)
  • 1 large onion, halved and finely sliced
Method
  1. Sieve the chickpea flour and add the salt, bicarbonate of soda, ground rice flour, cumin, coriander, chili powder and green chilies. Mix well. Gradually add the water and keep mixing until a thick batter is formed. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
  2. Loosen the onion half rings and stir into the batter.
  3. Heat the oil in a wok to 180 degC.
  4. Using tongs, grip a batch of the onions and place into the hot oil. Keep adding more onions but do not overfill the wok.
  5. Cook for approximately 8 minutes or until the batter is brown.
  6. Cook the remaining onions in the same manner.
  7. Serve hot with mint yoghurt, chutney or pickle.
onion bhaji 2s.jpg

Recipe courtesy of Mridula Baljekar

Last edited:
A young chef I knew who worked in a nearby Indian restaurant/takeaway used to make onion bhaji looking like that. They were lovely, much better than the ones served up in other establishments, and a world away from the ones you get in supermarkets.

A young chef I knew who worked in a nearby Indian restaurant/takeaway used to make onion bhaji looking like that. They were lovely, much better than the ones served up in other establishments, and a world away from the ones you get in supermarkets.

The recipe and style belong to Mridula Baljekar (for which I have now given her credit (I forgot)).

[Edit: the results and the photographs are mine].

Last edited:
I have also tried another method: adding the onion rings to the flour mixture before adding the water; mixing thoroughly until all the onion rings are coated in flour then sprinkle over the water until the onions become "semi battered". A lot less water is required.

It works but it is a little hit and miss, I've found.

It's very dated now even though only 10 years old. However, I'm not clever enough to add all the fancy stuff and I've found that many other sites don't work properly after being messed with.

Back
Top Bottom