Onion bhajis...

Whether they are vegetarian, vegan or neither I wouldn't know.

However, you've reminded me that I haven't cooked onion bhajis for a long time. I prefer the "open" style as favoured by Mridula Baljekar. These are mine from a while ago.

onion bhaji.jpg

are these vegan? Or just plain vegetarian? What's the diff? I make them all the time. Nice and crispy.

Russ

They are vegetarian for sure! Vegetarians don't eat the flesh of animals. They are also vegan (unless you use egg in the batter which is not traditional). Vegans don't eat anything which comes from an animal (so no eggs).

Yorky, yours look exactly like mine. Do you make your own rhaita?

Russ

Yes. But it's only fresh mint added to plain yoghurt (or mint sauce if I don't have fresh).

If I make raita as an accompaniment I usually make potato and onion raita, viz:

raita-2.jpg

My rhaita is yoghurt with a teaspoon of sugar, grated cucumber skin and all and chopped mint and I also fine cut half a medium onion. And.......1/2 teaspoon of my Garam masala. Mix. Best made ahead.

Russ

I'm going to plump for totally vegan, thinly sliced onions dredged in besan (chickpea) flour with whatever additions you want - for me green chilli, coriander/cilantro and various spices then deep or shallow fried.

Going to be slightly controversial and declare that they are onion pakora and not bhaji - which I think is a dry curry and not a fried comestible.

My Bangladeshi neighbour growing up always mentioned that, even though their family's restaurant always called them bhajis on the menu.

Whether it's the correct nomenclature or not, the bhajis that I usually cook (in addition to the onion one above) are not dry - mushroom bhaji, potato and onion bhaji and bhindi bhaji.

Not trying to cast(e) aspersions - I really am no expert, the bhaji dry curries I was referring to were more like what you have mentioned as opposed to the deep fried onion balls we refer to in the UK as onion bhajis. Sorry if any offense was caused.

Not trying to cast(e) aspersions - I really am no expert, the bhaji dry curries I was referring to were more like what you have mentioned as opposed to the deep fried onion balls we refer to in the UK as onion bhajis. Sorry if any offense was caused.

I understand and I was not offended. I also cook pakoras which are, as you say, battered and deep fried. I believe that the nomenclature may be regional as this is also called a bhaji in the title of the recipe:

Crispy bhaji.jpg

The potatoes are laid on a bed of besan flour mixed with chillis and spices, then more besan flour mix is sprinkled on the top before frying.

Crispbhajia-2 s.jpg

Wow, that looks stunning, just the mix of colours - if it wasn't 4.50am I might attempt it, or at least a poor approximation of it. Lovely pictures though, I am salivating at the thought.

Going to be slightly controversial and declare that they are onion pakora and not bhaji - which I think is a dry curry and not a fried comestible.

Interesting point - onion bhaji could be a British Curry house name for the deep fried onion 'balls'. I will look into this further. Whatever you call them they are delicious if cooked correctly and as you say, they are vegan.

Back
Top Bottom