Onion Powder - Is it necessary?

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
5:24 PM
I am planning on making enchiladas this coming week and the recipe that I am following calls for ½ tsp of onion powder. I don't have any onion powder but I could make some. However, given that the tomato sauce (to make the enchilada sauce) contains a whole onion and the fried minced beef also includes a whole onion, is there any point for ½ tsp?

None of the enchilada recipes I make call for onion powder. The sauces call for fresh vegetables, including garlic. The only time I've used garlic powder in Mexican/Tex-Mex is for chili powder.

What attracted you to this recipe @Yorky? I'm no expert in how enchilada sauce should taste or be made but I have to say I don't much like the sound of this recipe. I'd also query what this means: 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce. I've not seen tomato sauce in a can so I don't really know what is meant.

I'd be interested to know what @CraigC makes of it.

Tomato sauce is a readily available canned product here. It looks like thinned down ketchup, but is just tomatoes, salt, pepper.

What attracted you to this recipe @Yorky? I'm no expert in how enchilada sauce should taste or be made but I have to say I don't much like the sound of this recipe. I'd also query what this means: 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce. I've not seen tomato sauce in a can so I don't really know what is meant.

I'd be interested to know what @CraigC makes of it.

I've made my own tomato sauce (Olive oil, onion, salt, garlic and tinned tomatoes).

tomato sauce s.jpg

And to answer the first question - the recipe was the first one that I came across.

It may not be necessary, but as it is in the recipe I would add it. That's just me though, as I've mentioned before I stick rigidly to a recipe and will even postpone a recipe if I can't get the exact ingredients.
But I will happily tinker with a recipe after cooking it the first time until I get a version I'm happy with. So I would happily drop the onion powder or even maybe increase the amount as an experiment.

There are no tomato products in any of my Mexican/Tex-Mex sauces. I only use dried chilis for red and fresh chilis for green. I never use powdered spices in the sauces either, unless it is homemade chili powder.

I am planning on making enchiladas this coming week and the recipe that I am following calls for ½ tsp of onion powder. I don't have any onion powder but I could make some. However, given that the tomato sauce (to make the enchilada sauce) contains a whole onion and the fried minced beef also includes a whole onion, is there any point for ½ tsp?

Since your sauce and ground beef already contain onion, I would skip it. Sounds like there's already enough onion in the recipe, and it's only a half a teaspoon.

markets here carry enchilada sauce, and a wide variety of tomato sauce, for example onion, garlic or herbs or a combination, as well as canned diced tomatoes plain or with onions garlic and herbs. Your call.

I believe @Yorky is asking about its use in an enchilada sauce, not if you use onion powder. We use it a lot and I would be lost without it in BBQ rubs and sauces.

Back
Top Bottom