onions, lemon and mint

Wandering Bob

Über Member
Local time
3:40 PM
Apart from learning more new things than my aging brain can easily cope with, some of the posts on this excellent forum are making me remember dishes that I cooked a very long time ago - and had completely forgotten about.

I remember cooking an Indian meal for a dozen friends about 20 years ago, and I trialled marinating thinly sliced white onions in an oil & lemon juice mix (I probably used sunflower oil). I left it uncovered for a couple of hours, then dressed it with chopped fresh mint. It was quite outstanding served on fresh poppadoms - all the sharpness of the onion had gone, just leaving a slightly sweet taste that fused beautifully with the lemon and mint.

To a certain extent, the same logic applies in a tabbouleh - I've been making it an hour or two before eating it recently so that all the flavours merge and the onion softens.

I don't know what the science is - or whether it happens all the time (perhaps only in warm weather?) - but I'm beginning to suspect that onion, lemon and mint is a classic flavour combination that may have been present in Middle Eastern cuisine for centuries - and that I've only just noticed it. I'm determined to keep going with it - and have a feeling it may go well as a cornbread topping amongst other things.

Well - lemon (or any acid) will 'cure' or 'pickle'. So when you marinade the onions that is what is happening. Try doing this with thinly sliced red onions for a beautiful vivid result! I have a photo or two somewhere.

onion, lemon and mint is a classic flavour combination that may have been present in Middle Eastern cuisine for centuries
I think so - and in Indian cooking!

Red onions marinaded in lime juice (bottom of photo) - they turn this fantastic pink quite quickly:

fullsizeoutput_3851.jpeg

Fantastic - if you hadn't told me they were onions, I would have thought that was a dish of red cabbage.

Did you use black onion seeds in the dish too?

Fantastic - if you hadn't told me they were onions, I would have thought that was a dish of red cabbage.

Did you use black onion seeds in the dish too?

I think so - looks like that. Yes, I think it is. The recipe for all of the above is somewhere on the Forum - if I could find it!

I need to try this! I was served some lightly picked red onions yesterday with a salad, and they were amazing. What is in the other two dishes?

I think the curry is lamb and aubergine - its on the forum somewhere but I can't find it. I can't remember what the other pickle/chutney is! If I can locate the curry recipe on the forum it will also have the other recipes.

Back
Top Bottom