Only 4 gadgets for the next month

By kitchen gadgets/appliances, I mean things such as electric knives, tin openers, food processors, toasters, kettles, dishwashers, electric woks, crockpots, slow cookers, pressure cookers (any type), Kenwood Chef/mixers, mandolins, pastry cutters, cup measures.

I'll allow cookers (electric, gas, wood burning etc), baking trays/sheets, saucepans and frying pans hand whisks (as in balloon whisk), sieves, wooden spatulas (aka stirring sticks in this house) and fridge/freezers but anything else counts as one of your 4.

Umm, really? Just 4 cooking implements, manual or powered?
That's what I said originally... And I was being generous allowing sieves and balloon whisks... :whistling:

I know you mentioned "wood burning", but would that apply to outdoor cooking stuff as well?

I know you mentioned "wood burning", but would that apply to outdoor cooking stuff as well?
I was covering wood burning stoves or agas really, but a naughty thought had also crossed my mind about a certain wood burning pizza oven, wood burning BBQ aussie style (huge) not to mention the original wood fired stove the lady who raised 5 children here back in the 70s used when the place was literally hacked of of the bush... but in the spirit of things perhaps only 1 cooker/stove/oven concept should be permitted, other than an open fire pit outside?

I'm surprised given the number of people who have said that their recipes are all online, not one of you have mentioned access to recipes...

But that is not in the kitchen! I use the internet loads for researching recipes, even if I find a recipe in a recipe book I always check online to see different versions, comments, history of the dish, etc.

But that is not in the kitchen! I use the internet loads for researching recipes, even if I find a recipe in a recipe book I always check online to see different versions, comments, history of the dish, etc.
The device used to check the internet is in the kitchen for a lot of people when they cook the recipe. Plenty of members now follow a recipe on their tablet, phone or laptop whilst cooking it, thus rendering it a cooking 'gadget'. Hence my classing it as a cooking aid or kitchen appliance. I even know people with dedicated terminals in their kitchen. I guess I'd probably call a TV the same if it was set up correctly to display the recipe being followed.

As an aside...
I've always maintained the stand of no devices in my kitchen because I hate electronics mixing with food or drink but that dates back from the reverse issue of food and drink in an electronic environment (server room) and from the number of times I was asked to perform miracles extracting data off a fried laptop usually after its owner (or person it had been lent to) had knocked over a glass of wine (that was the most common item, amazingly coffee was very low down on the list of offending items split over a laptop).

I definitely couldn't do without my kettle - it's far quicker than boiling water on the hob - and my scales, and I'd like to keep my dishwasher and one of my psycho knives as well. I could probably do without anything else - my oven has an integral grill which is OK for making toast (I only bought a toaster last year, so I'm used to not having one). If we can't keep mixing bowls, I'll have to use my biggest saucepan instead :D

My initial thought were:

deep fryer
mandoline
food processor (I almost always use a blender, but a food processor is more versatile)
pressure cooker

But, if I had picked my 4 strictly based on things in the kitchen, I would have forgotten to include devices with internet access. This would have meant that I'd have to dust off the cookbooks I've bought and rarely open. It also would mean that I'd be improvising a lot of recipes (and not baking much, except for things I've memorized). I would also have forgotten about the timer...something we take for granted, but undeniably is important.

I also would have forgotten the timer. That would actually be more important than access to recipes.

My initial thought were:

deep fryer
mandoline
food processor (I almost always use a blender, but a food processor is more versatile)
pressure cooker

But, if I had picked my 4 strictly based on things in the kitchen, I would have forgotten to include devices with internet access. This would have meant that I'd have to dust off the cookbooks I've bought and rarely open. It also would mean that I'd be improvising a lot of recipes (and not baking much, except for things I've memorized). I would also have forgotten about the timer...something we take for granted, but undeniably is important.

I also would have forgotten the timer. That would actually be more important than access to recipes.
My oven has a built-in timer, so I could still use it without it being included as a separate item :D

You have me thinking about timers. I don't actually have one but we have a kitchen clock.

However, do I really need a timer?

For pan frying beef steak and for soft boiled eggs, yes. But that's about it and I could actually count in my head for those (90 and 150).

For pan frying beef steak and for soft boiled eggs, yes. But that's about it and I could actually count in my head for those (90 and 150).
Is that 150 seconds for an egg placed in boiling water? Thats not even two minutes. Or do you put the egg in tepid water and bring it to the boil and then time it?

Is that 150 seconds for an egg placed in boiling water? Thats not even two minutes. Or do you put the egg in tepid water and bring it to the boil and then time it?

Your memory is worse than mine. Tepid water, bring to the boil. Boil for sixty seconds, Remove from the gas and allow to sit for 150 seconds. Then quench in cold(ish) water and peel. Perfect.

with toast 8 s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom