Recipe Orange Drizzle Cake

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:04 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
1 final recipe before the recipe challenge involving oranges changes. This time something sweet and slightly less healthy, but I have found a recipe involving oats, chia seeds and flaxseeds (linseed) to increase its healthiness...

download-1.jpg

Ingredients
  • 300g/10oz plain flour
  • 350g/12oz soft light brown sugar (divided into 250g/100g (8oz/4oz))
  • 50-75g/2-3oz rolled oats
  • 1 heaped tablespoon ground chia seeds
  • 1 heaped tablespoon ground flaxseeds
  • 3 eggs
  • zest and juice of 4 oranges (in 2 equal batches)
  • 100g/4oz melted butter/dairy-free margarine
  • 1 splash milk/dairy-free alternative

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 C / 360F/ Gas 4.
  2. Grease 2lb (1kg) loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper.
  3. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar (larger batch) , oats and seeds and mix well.
  4. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs lightly then add the juice and zest of the oranges. Beat in the melted butter/margarine and a splash of (dairy-free) milk.
  5. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until well incorporated, then pour into the prepared loaf tin.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
  7. Meanwhile make the orange drizzle; squeeze and zest the 2 remaining oranges and pour the juice into a small pan, add the zest and sugar (smaller batch).
  8. Gently bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. You are after a thick syrup that has not caramelised but is thin enough to seep into the cake.
  9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before using a small skewer/tooth pick to skewer the cake evenly about 100 times.
  10. Finally seep the cake evenly and slowly (for maximum absorption) with the orange syrup. Ideally refrigerate overnight before serving.

Lemon dizzle cake is a favorite of mine but this I have never tried. I am sure it would be good because anything citrus usually is. It shoulds like a healthy alternative for a dessert so one you can enjoy without the guilt! :)

Lemon dizzle cake is a favorite of mine but this I have never tried. I am sure it would be good because anything citrus usually is. It shoulds like a healthy alternative for a dessert so one you can enjoy without the guilt! :)

Not a big cake eater but lemon drizzle gets my vote :okay:

Reactions: L_B
This sounds really yummy, and as mentioned above, sounds like a healthier version of ones I've seen. I'd definitely eat either the orange or the lemon, or perhaps a mixture of the two. I might also like the orange with a hint or lime juice. I got some fresh lemons from a neighbor recently, and the taste is so much better than store bought, which are also prohibitively expensive right now. I don't tend to buy the expensive healthy ingredients right now because they're usually fairly expensive, but I was happy to see ground flax seed at a really good price at Kroger the other day.

Back
Top Bottom