Recipe Orange, Lavender Pudding with Cashew Nuts (re-visited)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:55 AM
@SatNavSaysStraightOn posted the recipe Orange, Lavender Pudding with Cashew Nuts and thought I might have some fun photographing it. So I made it yesterday in the 'test kitchen' photographed it today. :)

IMGP1117.jpg

Photographed today in my garden

It is an easy recipe to make because no cooking is required and you simply blend everything together, decant into serving dishes and leave to set. Mine turned out not as 'orangey' looking as the original - but that could have been because I used tangerines (6 tangerines in place of 2 oranges).

The main issue I had was that the mixture was granular (as you can see in the photos) because the nuts didn't pulse down. It could be that my mixer isn't up to the job, but I reckon if you try the recipe it might be worth grinding down the nuts first.

It tastes lovely - not too sweet and the lavender adds a lovely aromatic dimension. Apart from not looking orangey, mine didn't taste very orangey either. I think it could be worth adding zest to the mixture as well as as a garnish. Anyway, I had fun with the photos and used some jazzy 1950's glass tea-cups instead of ramekins (mainly because I have no ramekins!). So...going with that, I tried to inject a bit more colour into the images than in the original photos.

IMGP1112.jpg

IMGP1113.jpg

They look great. :okay:

The last one needs more depth of field to get everything in focus imo, but you could have been trying for the out of focus option i don't know.

You really do have to soak the cashew nuts (I usually settle for the overnight option) and have a proper blender for them to get them into a smooth paste. It's takes practice and usually just that little too much water if you don't have a top end blender/liquidizer. Luckily I do have when it arrives (hopefully tomorrow), but they are not cheap. Mine cost over £200 and that was a cheap one (Omniblend rather than a Vitamix or otherwise).

Looking at the website I note that someone commented that it might be a good idea to soak the cashew nuts first and someone else commented that they couldn't achieve a smooth consistency...

Is this one supposed to be an entry in the cooking bites recipe challenge? I was assuming it is since it contains orange. Anyway, it's an interesting recipe.

Back
Top Bottom