Staff member
Local time
2:54 PM
Orange-Pineapple Ice
Serves 8-10

Ingredients
2 cups granulated white sugar
2-1/4 cups water, divided
1 envelope unflavored gelatin (that's about 3 sheets of leaf gelatine)
1 8-oz can crushed pineapple and juice
1 cup orange juice
6 TB fresh lemon juice
2 very ripe bananas, mashed very well
Fresh mint, for garnish

Directions
In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and 2 cups of the water and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until dissolved. Soften the gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water, then stir into the hot syrup mixture. Let cool completely.

Add fruits and fruit juices to the syrup, then pour into a refrigerator tray* and freeze. Let soften slightly before serving, garnished with fresh mint.

Recipe from Cooking from Quilt Country, Marcia Adams

*I was interested to learn more about the specific instruction concerning a "refrigerator tray" - not something that gets mentioned all the frequently these days. Now, I'm not so dense that I can't deduce that this needs to go in some sort of shallow, freezer-safe tray for setting up, but I wanted to know more about the nomenclature. A quick googling and I learned that 75 years ago or so, a refrigerator tray was a common item in home kitchens; either metal or plastic and shallow, a little deeper than a sheet pan, more shallow than a loaf pan. Nowadays, we'd just use a baking pan, which is what I did. Superman says, "The more you know..."

The CookingBites recipe challenge: pineapple

This seems more a sorbet to me but maybe that is what 'ice' means (rather than ice-cream)? The banana will be giving it body though, so I'm not sure.

Whatever, its an easy recipe and looks very refreshing and pretty.

Back
Top Bottom