Recipe Origina Serbian Burek

djordjem87

Veteran
Local time
2:04 PM
It an interesting story behind this pastry. The recipe was brought by a Turkish baker Mehmed Oglu from Istanbul to my home town of Niš in 1498. It was altered by our bakers and since then prepared every where in the region. Burek is only with meat. Other fillings are making it a pie. But during the time all of these took the name of Burek.
The guy in the video is making an empty burek which is very popular as well. Burek is traditionally eaten with yogurt. In Bosnia the name Burek refers only to original Meat Burek unlike in Serbia where you have too choose from many types. A story about Bosnian fellow in Belgrade goes like this. He came into a bakery and asked for a Burek. When he was asked 'with what' ( not what type because here we literally assk WITH WHAT) meaning whether he wants with cheese, or meat...He answered, with yogurt of course. :)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlIQhtvYaPY

I enjoyed watching the video, he is such a skillful guy. I did not see though the whole process of making a burek because the video is only focused on preparing the dough.

This is because although the ingredients are simple (flour, water, oil, salt,sugar), so no yeast, the ratio is a kind of a secret that you can easily find out your self and they already have everything prepared. the trick is to make the dough very, very thin. You have seen the basics of doing it and i tried, believe me, i have skills in kitchen, but i had some dough on my face in the end. So you need practice with this one. The important thing is that dough is greased (oiled) before sou start the craziness from the video. It is really a delicious food. I hope you could try it sometimes. Hot burek and cold yogurt.

All I can do here is admire this short film. It was fun to watch if I can say anything about it. Morning Glory can attempt this in her spare time.

Back
Top Bottom