Outdoor Kitchens

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
11:47 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
When I think outdoor cooking I usually think of a barbecue set up outside. I stumbled across the idea of outdoor kitchens recently - things like this...a literal open air kitchen that's still kind of enclosed like a room - but it's solely outdoors.

What do you think of this sort of concept? I think it's beautiful looking, but I don't know about it from a practicality standpoint. Also, I'm thinking it would cost a small fortune to have something like it installed!

split-level-outdoor-kitchen-outdoor-solutions_9101.jpg

I had been to a rich person's house. When I say rich that means the guy has a huge house with several housemaids and several drivers, a pool in the yard, you know, like the home of the rich and famous. Anyway, their kitchen is like a restaurant's kitchen with a big exhaust system hanging above the cooking range. They set up a barbecue and although the smell pervaded the living room, the smoke was confined to the kitchen as if the exhaust was absorbing all the smoke. But having that kind of kitchen would cost a lot. As I said, it is a rich person's house. Good luck.

Great. Very very expensive. Not sure about those ugly wrought iron chairs! Or those hanging lamps. On closer inspection I don't like the brickwork either. There! I've succeeded in convincing myself I don't want one!

We have outside kitchens here but they can hardly compare. Back in the country, folks cook their food outside to keep away the smoke. You can tell what your neighbors are having for lunch a mile away:D. The kitchen above looks so exotic! I am sure I have seen that in hotel lodges in my country.

I've cooked the other end of the
Outside cooking, in field kitchens from -20 to + 40 knee deep in mud , some brilliant systems now , full extraction , well equipped
The novelty of a patio kitchen would be a waste in the UK

If you already have this in your home there are some other uses for it aside from cooking. You can use that granite top as your morning breakfast table. You can add some racks and stock on your favorite wine or drinks and you have a bar in an instant. This is also a perfect place to entertain. I would make the brick walls more reminiscent of New York city apartments to get rid of the dullness of the interior

....and I don't like the pine cabinets or the pine-clad ceiling with inset spotlights or the unnecessary curlycue brackets under the counter. And is that a rattan sofa reminiscent of 70's conservatories I spy in the background? This is really a very undesirable kitchen. I'd much rather have my cramped dark galley kitchen wouldn't I?

....and I don't like the pine cabinets or the pine-clad ceiling with inset spotlights or the unnecessary curlycue brackets under the counter. And is that a rattan sofa reminiscent of 70's conservatories I spy in the background? This is really a very undesirable kitchen. I'd much rather have my cramped dark galley kitchen wouldn't I?

Oh, totally. Those wrought iron chairs did look mighty uncomfortable. Plus it's all exposed to the elements. Who would want such a hideous outdoor kitchen anyway, right?! :laugh:

That outdoor kitchen is very pretty but would not work in my lifestyle. I think a nice grill, with water available and a nice table is more than enough for me.

That outdoor kitchen is very pretty but would not work in my lifestyle. I think a nice grill, with water available and a nice table is more than enough for me.

That's really all I need when it comes to being able to cook a good meal outside! A full kitchen is a bit excessive but like you said I think it's very pretty to look at!

I would love to have something like this at my house. Outdoor cooking is fun and the photo you posted is beautiful. I agree it would obviously be quite expensive to have something like this, but you could probably do something similar on a smaller scale. Maybe just have a stove, oven, table, chairs, a chandelier, and a fireplace.

I agree this is something you would normally find at the home of a wealthy person, but you would probably also find something like this at the home of people who have large families and need the space for Sunday night dinners, holidays, family reunions, etc.

Back
Top Bottom