Oven mitts or teatowel

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
3:39 PM
When removing hot items from the oven I prefer to use oven mitts, yes they are chunky but they protect my hands. My husband prefers to use a teatowel which unfortunately has led to him burning his fingers.

What is your choice?

I use both, sometimes one of each. It is the smokers and grill where I basically use welding gloves.

Whatever is the nearest thing to prevent burning. Sometimes full sized mitts, sometimes little potholder or fingertip "covers", sometimes a tea towel, or even a wad of paper towels.

Always oven gloves. Why would you not want to protect your hands?
I even have a pair of mini ones for the microwave.
Tea towels are for drying up after washing up.

I had some oven gloves which I inadvertently set on fire removing a pan from the gas stove.

burnt oven gloves.jpg

My daughter bought me one new one to replace them.

As I now use the halogen oven I have a set of tongs to lift out either the rack or the iron plate (or a pasty in this image):

removing pasty s.jpg

Last edited:
Neither...square potholders...mitts are too bulky and big and tea towels are just begging to drop on a burner and catch alight plus i use tea towels to dry my hands and if you've ever tried to pick up something very hot with something damp you will find damp fabric does nothing to keep you from burning.

Orange RR oven Mitts..jpg

I got these orange Rachael Ray oven mitts, but they're just for show. I use an older orange pair for pots & taking things out of the ovens. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom