Packet mixes and convenience foods

Frozen Philo dough. I hope no one thinks I would even consider trying to make it myself.
I don't suppose there are many of us who have attempted that! I keep meaning (is it sheer masochism?) to have go! I do make puff pastry sometimes, though - and recently, croissants..
I did once, much more recently, have a go at home making Chicken Kiev
Could be another candidate for the Cookalong! I've been drawing up a list...

Could be another candidate for the Cookalong! I've been drawing up a list...

Well, the inspiration to have a go at it was Tom Kerridge demonstrating how to do it on the telly. He made it look so easy. The disaster I had was trying to cut neat little slots in the chicken breasts and getting the filling from the piping bag into the centre of the chicken breast. I finished up punctured piping bags, with garlic butter everywhere but in the middle of the chicken breasts, with tattered sorry looking chicken breasts. There were tears and tantrums, my wife telling me to stop being such a drama queen. Ah it wasn't pretty.

Well, the inspiration to have a go at it was Tom Kerridge demonstrating how to do it on the telly. He made it look so easy. The disaster I had was trying to cut neat little slots in the chicken breasts and getting the filling from the piping bag into the centre of the chicken breast. I finished up punctured piping bags, with garlic butter everywhere but in the middle of the chicken breasts, with tattered sorry looking chicken breasts. There were tears and tantrums, my wife telling me to stop being such a drama queen. Ah it wasn't pretty.
Oh dear! I don't think I attempted them since sometime in the 70's! And in those days I couldn't cook so It was a stupid thing to attempt. They were a disaster - all the filling leaked.

Oh dear! I don't think I attempted them since sometime in the 70's! And in those days I couldn't cook so It was a stupid thing to attempt. They were a disaster - all the filling leaked.

Yeah, that Tom Kerridge, all "Oh look at me, I can cook Chicken Kiev".

When checking out, you can spot the "Queens of the Freezer." Their carts are loaded with convenient foods. Instant mashed potatoes, frozen "Salisbury Steaks",( Hamburgers in gravy) and some frozen peas. Dinner's on the table. The hardest part of that meal was reading the directions.
Oh yes and then during the summer, they have lunchables and what are those frozen peanut butter and jelly sandwiches called. There might accidentally be a gallon of milk, but usually individual drinks. All in their carts.

Now yes, I used jarred/canned pasta sauce because they are way cheaper than making it from scratch or tinned tomatoes.

Most of our stores have built in hot delis and there are aisles of frozen prepared foods and a refrigerator section too. Some stores have more prepared foods than others.

On filo dough, my aunt made it one time. It was the only time she allowed anyone else in her kitchen. Everyone got to help roll it out.

I guess I have to own up...

• IKEA Veggie balls. They're vegan so fine for me and handy the keep in the freezer. They're also high in protein so are a useful addition to any meal.
  • Heinz Baked Beans (aussie style: less salt and less sugar)
  • Frozen Puff pastry
  • Does tomato concentrate count?
  • Weet-bix? (less sugar than Weetabix)
  • Macro (it's an organic make) chickpea burgers
  • Wholemeal sliced rye bread (?)
  • Crisps...
I think that might be it... I'm assuming things like muesli don't count.

Edit: I forgot the ready popped sweet and salty popcorn. I just seem to kill popcorn in a microwave and not being allowed to make my own in the largest pan (always burns and they come out damp and stale)

Last edited:
Do you ever use them? I don't really - but confess to using a 'bread sauce packet mix' once in a while. I like to cook from scratch but of course, packets mixes offer a shortcut if you don't have time. Tell us which packet mixes or convenience foods you use! Or do you eschew them?
I have used Sloppy Joe mix packets.

I don't remember the last time I used a dry packet mix for anything. I don't even use chili powder preferring to grind my own dried chilis to add to things like chili con carne.

I regularly use jarred tomato sauce, though, when the recipe calls for a long cooked sauce and I don't have the time to cook down the tomatoes, add the herbs, etc..

I don't normally use packet mixes or ready meals at all. We do use tinned tomatoes, sweetcorn, baked beans and soup though.

On our recent travels we discovered some pretty good Knorr packet soups in France and Germany. Not sure I'll be changing my habits at home, but they work pretty well when travelling.

My wife picked up some convenience food from the market. A tom yam starter kit. The idea is to avoid buying a kilogram of each ingredient for a single tom yam serving. There are many more ingredients to add but it's a start.

Tomyam kit s.jpg

Galangal, chilis, lime, lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves.

That's funny. We have those soup starter packs here as well. They usually contain a large carrot and stalk of celery or two, a parsnip, an onion, and some parsley.

I'll occasionally use Knorr powdered sauce mixes like Hollandaise, demi glace, and Peppercorn. But, true to form, I still end up adding other ingredients to them...
And, there is this one frozen, thin crust cheese and veggie pizza I will buy, cook it until almost done, cut it in half and use it to make salami or capicola sandwiches....
ZdrAtLe.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom