Recipe Pain au sarrasin

Wandering Bob

Über Member
Local time
8:26 AM
It was only after I’d made this bread that I discovered that pain au sarrasin actually exists – and is a speciality of Brittany. (Perhaps it’s sold on some local markets or sur commande from a boulangère artisanale – but I’ve never seen it for sale). If the bread contains between 10% and 40% buckwheat flour, then it’s called pain au sarrasin – over 40% is classified as pain de sarrasin.

I’m pleased with my first attempt at using buckwheat flour in bread. It’s hard to define the flavour that the farine de sarrasin gives to this loaf – it’s almost an earthy taste, which is then offset by the caraway. It’s probably fair to say that a little goes a long way. My neighbours are equally enthusiastic about this first try, describing it as a ‘rustic bread’, resembling old-fashioned country bread – and if it’s good enough for them, then that’s (almost always) good enough for me.

My inclusion of caraway seeds probably detracts from the bread’s authenticity – but this is ‘my bread’, not someone else’s, so I really don’t care.

upload_2018-7-25_12-23-36.png

You need:

300g of strong white/rye flour with seeds (see footnote *)
200g of strong white bread flour
100g of buckwheat flour (farine de sarrasin)
¾ teaspoon of caraway seeds (graines de carvi)
1 heaped teaspoon of salt
1 heaped teaspoon of sugar
10g of dried active yeast
1 tablespoonful of olive oil
warm water

Method:
  1. Put the flour, caraway seeds, salt, sugar and dried active yeast into a large mixing bowl.
  2. Add the olive oil and as much warm water as is necessary to make a malleable dough. Knead and stretch the dough until it feels smooth and elastic (around 8/10 minutes work). Then cover the dough and put it on one side somewhere warm for 2 hours (it should double in size).
  3. Knock the dough down, place it on a baking tray and shape it into an oval. Cover and leave it for another hour.
  4. Pre-heat the oven to 210C
  5. Cook the bread for 25 minutes at 210C, then reduce the oven temperature to 200C for a further 5 minutes
  6. Take it out of the oven and let it cool on a wire rack
Footnote *: I used a bespoke strong white/rye bread flour which contains sunflower seeds and linseeds. It’s marketed in France by the company Francine as “Mon Pain Multi-Cereales”.

upload_2018-7-25_12-29-42.png

Last edited by a moderator:
A liittle caraway goes a long way! Nice idea to add them to the loaf. Is this a no knead loaf? There is no mention of kneading in the instructions.

A liittle caraway goes a long way! Nice idea to add them to the loaf. Is this a no knead loaf? There is no mention of kneading in the instructions.

There's about 10 minutes worth of kneading/dough stretching involved. I should have made reference to that in the recipe - sorry.

There's about 10 minutes worth of kneading/dough stretching involved. I should have made reference to that in the recipe - sorry.

You probably aren't able to edit your posts yet (you have to be a member for a while - not sure how long). You could try editing and let me know if you can't. Click on edit (bottom left of your post). If you can't add it I will.

It was only after I’d made this bread that I discovered that pain au sarrasin actually exists – and is a speciality of Brittany. (Perhaps it’s sold on some local markets or sur commande from a boulangère artisanale – but I’ve never seen it for sale). If the bread contains between 10% and 40% buckwheat flour, then it’s called pain au sarrasin – over 40% is classified as pain de sarrasin.

I’m pleased with my first attempt at using buckwheat flour in bread. It’s hard to define the flavour that the farine de sarrasin gives to this loaf – it’s almost an earthy taste, which is then offset by the caraway. It’s probably fair to say that a little goes a long way. My neighbours are equally enthusiastic about this first try, describing it as a ‘rustic bread’, resembling old-fashioned country bread – and if it’s good enough for them, then that’s (almost always) good enough for me.

My inclusion of caraway seeds probably detracts from the bread’s authenticity – but this is ‘my bread’, not someone else’s, so I really don’t care.

View attachment 17688

You need:

300g of strong white/rye flour with seeds (see footnote *)
200g of strong white bread flour
100g of buckwheat flour (farine de sarrasin)
¾ teaspoon of caraway seeds (graines de carvi)
1 heaped teaspoon of salt
1 heaped teaspoon of sugar
10g of dried active yeast
1 tablespoonful of olive oil
warm water

Method:

Put the flour, caraway seeds, salt, sugar and dried active yeast into a large mixing bowl.

Add the olive oil and as much warm water as is necessary to make a malleable dough. Knead and stretch the dough until it feels smooth and elastic (around 8/10 minutes work). Then cover the dough and put it on one side somewhere warm for 2 hours (it should double in size).

Knock the dough down, place it on a baking tray and shape it into an oval. Cover and leave it for another hour.

Pre-heat the oven to 210C

Cook the bread for 25 minutes at 210C, then reduce the oven temperature to 200C for a further 5 minutes

Take it out of the oven and let it cool on a wire rack

Footnote *: I used a bespoke strong white/rye bread flour which contains sunflower seeds and linseeds. It’s marketed in France by the company Francine as “Mon Pain Multi-Cereales”.

View attachment 17689

Blimey! Looks really well done..I'm rather sure it's very good as well

Blimey! Looks really well done..I'm rather sure it's very good as well

Grazia tanto !

It was my first attempt at making bread using buckwheat flour - and I'm really pleased with it. My neighbours liked it too - 'pane rustico' ? so that makes me even more determined to keep going with it, trying new variations.

One day soon I will try and write something on Italian bread - and I think I might need your help ...

Grazia tanto !

It was my first attempt at making bread using buckwheat flour - and I'm really pleased with it. My neighbours liked it too - 'pane rustico' ? so that makes me even more determined to keep going with it, trying new variations.

One day soon I will try and write something on Italian bread - and I think I might need your help ...

Your first attempt? Wow, congrats!
I will soon (hope) make the focaccia with buckwheat, but I wait because the idea of turning on the oven now is like a one-way ticket to hell.
I will be glad to give you some tips for Italian bread. It depends on what kind of bread you want to do.As you know, we have a lot and every region, every city, country, family has its own..

Back
Top Bottom