Recipe Pain au sarrasin

I don't know if anyone ever comes down to this part of the forum any more. It's a bit damp and cold in this basement and really not very well lit.

But anyone who ventures this far might be interested to hear that the sarrasin/caraway production line continues apace. My neighbours and I adore this bread and I'm cranking out the same loaves every 2 or 3 days. I doubt whether anyone else in Europe has ever come across this type of bread before, although it might exist in Germany (they use a lot of caraway there).

Here's tonight's loaf:

Sarrasin 22082018.JPG

Well I guess I am going to have to try this recipe... I need to make some bread soon so this will be it. Why do you use 600g as your standard flour measurement for a loaf. I'm more used to 500g - which fits most bread tins/bannatons - most UK recipes use 500g. Is it a French thing?

Last edited:
Well I guess I am going to have to try this recipe... I need to make some bread soon so this will be it. Why do you use 600g as your standard flour measurement for a loaf. I'm more used to 500g - which fits most bread tins/bannatons - most UK recipes use 500g. Is it a French thing?

I think you'll struggle to replicate this exactly but it shouldn't be too hard to get close. The Francine Pain Multi-Cereales flour is a bespoke mix and rather thin on details as to its composition - there's some rye in there (no indication as to how much), plus sunflower & lin seeds. Given that you're going to reduce my quantities down anyway (from 600 to 500), you could try something along the lines of 400g strong white, 50g rye, 50g buckwheat - plus 1 tsp each of caraway, sunflower & lin seeds. I've settled on a wet dough (slapped but barely kneaded), then a fair amount of bench flour after the first proving in order to get a 'shaped' loaf. There is something elusive and enchanting about the sarrasin/caraway flavouring - and cold for breakfast with some Bonne Maman apricot jam, then it's one of the nicest things I've ever tasted, and certainly the best bread I've made in 34 years.

A 500g loaf doesn't go far in August (too many to feed). I use 600g for 'big breads' because they fit my oven tray. Yesterday was complicated and confusing (but probably no different to the day before) - I had planned on making a 600g sarrasin/caraway and a 480/500g pain de campagne (in my sparkly new banneton) and the cornbread - but was told not to make too much because of uncertainty regarding certain third party's movements/plans. I really don't like making so much bread that then isn't eaten and ends up being given to the chickens - so I appreciated the warning, and made less.

A French thing? you're kidding.....this is 'Basement Baking' at its finest - we don't take any notice of any local or national fads - this is ours, and ours alone. We are driven by taste and texture (and as long as the taste isn't too strong for the 3 year-old) then I carry on using my instincts together with feedback from the neighbours. In that sense, this 600g loaf has reached 'perfection' because no-one can think of how to improve it.

I wish you courage with your first attempt. If, having made it and tried it, you shrug your shoulders and say "it's OK" then you've failed. But if you get it right and experience the OMG moment - then you'll realise what I've been banging on about for the last 4 weeks, and why E was so moved back in July that she tried to post her thoughts on here (that should have told you something at the time).

Thanks for tidying-up the recipe above (noted for the future)

More info than you probably wanted - no-one else will read it anyway (too many words apart from anything else)

Footnote *: I used a bespoke strong white/rye bread flour which contains sunflower seeds and linseeds. It’s marketed in France by the company Francine as “Mon Pain Multi-Cereales”.

I found this one which seems to have similar ingredients - but not sure the same. It has a very similar photo on the packet! Maybe they just make a different packet for UK market? For comparison:

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 10.59.52.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 11.05.16.png

@Wandering Bob - looking at the above - I think your flour (image 2) contains sourdough leavening which is deactivated: Levaine de blé désactivé? This will probably give it a distinctive taste. The ascorbic acid will also add to the rising - both mixes contain that.

Last edited:
I think your flour (image 2) contains sourdough leavening which is deactivated: Levaine de blé désactivé? This will probably give it a distinctive taste. The ascorbic acid will also add to the rising - both mixes contain that.

Interesting - thank you

I don't know if anyone ever comes down to this part of the forum any more. It's a bit damp and cold in this basement and really not very well lit.

But anyone who ventures this far might be interested to hear that the sarrasin/caraway production line continues apace. My neighbours and I adore this bread and I'm cranking out the same loaves every 2 or 3 days. I doubt whether anyone else in Europe has ever come across this type of bread before, although it might exist in Germany (they use a lot of caraway there).

Here's tonight's loaf:

View attachment 18689

The engineer in me has a problem with the atmospheric logistics of an underground bakery being humid.

Otherwise, bread please.

the atmospheric logistics of an underground bakery being humid.

Yep - shot down before we'd started to have much fun.

Anyway, thanks for visiting and pleased that you liked the bread. Forgot to ask you what the weather was like outside and whether it was still the year 1967. (He thinks I'm joking but, I ask myself, what does he know of the European hippy diaspora? I've seen things recently ….).

Having been found, we're now burrowing deeper underground and are likely to reappear just about anywhere, and without any warning.

Best wishes

The Subversive Bakers

Rubbish photo but here is what the crumb looks like.

The photo's OK, but the crumb??? It looks nothing like mine at all. Mine is darker (almost grey) and moister too.

I'd be interested in knowing what proportions/quantities of the flours you used - and you did put some caraway in too? I can see what looks like one forlorn sunflower seed …

The photo's OK, but the crumb??? It looks nothing like mine at all. Mine is darker (almost grey) and moister too.

I'd be interested in knowing what proportions/quantities of the flours you used - and you did put some caraway in too? I can see what looks like one forlorn sunflower seed …

I know! I used the same proportions of each flour as your recipe but scaled down to 500g. It must be the multigrain flour which is different. What else could it be?

250 g multigrain
175 g white
75 g buckwheat

I know! I used the same proportions of each flour as your recipe but scaled down to 500g. It must be the multigrain flour which is different. What else could it be?

250 g multigrain
175 g white
75 g buckwheat

That looks fine in terms of proportions. I'd agree with you that maybe it's the multi-grain - or the buckwheat?

your crumb doesn't look very dark and it depends on the light with photos:

Yes - I know, I also checked that photo of mine - it's dated 25 July on my files. Since then I've been playing with very wet dough - and using hardly any bench flour after the first proving. The bread I'm eating at the moment looks nothing like that. I made some this afternoon - and I'm holding the loaf in my hand right now and comparing it the photo of your bread. Mine is browner (not greyer) and it looks moister (to be fair, not many seeds are on view either - but the loaf is packed with them).

Back
Top Bottom