Recipe Pain au sarrasin

Note to file, and to anyone who might be interested …

I've been making this bread every couple of days - 300g MCF, 250g strong white and 50g sarrasin - for weeks now. Yesterday, because I was very tired and inattentive, I made it with 300g MCF, 230g strong white and 100g sarrasin. A slapped wet dough. Forgot all about it for the first proving which lasted 2.5 hrs in full sun. I had to use a lot of bench flour to make anything approaching a vague loaf shape. It pancaked of course. I gave half to E in the evening. I ate some for breakfast this morning - and it's sensational - the flavour is still bouncing around my mouth (I also used some 'fresh' carvi - which might also have made a slight difference). Went to ask E what she thought of it as a breakfast bread - "no idea, Bob, we ate it all last night, it was so good...". Even M ate some and enjoyed it (and that has to be a first). So …..next one will be 300g MCF, 200g strong white and 100g sarrasin (that'd be around 16% sarrasin).

Must be the extra buckwheat which is upping the taste. I think if you are cooking 600g loaves and they are 'pancaking' then an oblong 600g banneton might be a good idea.

What is 'carvi'?

What is 'carvi'?

Sorry - it's the French for caraway seeds

Must be the extra buckwheat which is upping the taste

Definitely

I think if you are cooking 600g loaves and they are 'pancaking'

I don't mind a bit of pancaking - perhaps the loaf doesn't look very attractive, but the taste ...oh, my.

I had intended making a 500g Pain de Campagne with sarrasin in the banneton yesterday - but in the end, ran out of time (probably just as well I didn't, considering the speed with which the other was consumed)

Here is my oblong one along with other stuff - its a good shape for cutting slices or, indeed, chopping in half to share with neighbours.

20180728_133825.jpg

Here is my oblong one along with other stuff - its a good shape for cutting slices or, indeed, chopping in half to share with neighbours.

I like the look of that oblong one a lot ! If that'll take a 600g dough mix, that'd be perfect

When I have a moment, I'll have a look on amazon.fr

Thank you

I like the look of that oblong one a lot ! If that'll take a 600g dough mix, that'd be perfect

When I have a moment, I'll have a look on amazon.fr

Thank you

I think there are ones that take 600g - in fact I think mine might do that.

I am wondering how far you can go with the buckwheat ratio. How about 40%? :D

I'll try it if you will.

I'm sticking with 20% today. I'm going for:

300g MCF (strong white/rye flour with seeds) (50%)
180g strong white bread flour (30%)
120g farine de sarrasin (20%)

1 teaspoon of caraway seeds (graines de carvi)

Note re the 20% sarrasin loaf..... it was quite a wet dough. Didn't get much of a slap either because of wrist problems. Used a fair amount of bench flour to shape the loaf. Not much pancaking. The loaf was a bit smaller than I'd expected though.

The taste is good. First thoughts are that I'm at the maximum re proportion of sarrasin. Will get E's comments later - want to be sure it's not too strong a taste for W. He generally takes it all in his stride though - perhaps he thinks all bread tastes like this ….he's in for a shock.

Updated: talked to E, she likes the bread very much but she thinks (like me) that 20% sarrasin is enough

Last edited:
Trying a different version today - 260g MCF, 300g PMF and just 40g sarrasin (6.5%) and no caraway seeds

Can't use left wrist so one-handed slapped wet dough.

edited a couple hours later: it needed a lot of bench flour for shaping prior to the second prove. It'll probably pancake but I don't care. I'm much more interested in how it tastes than it what it looks like. Might only be the second loaf with sarrasin that I've made without caraway. The first was too dry - which is the other reason I opted for a wet dough for this one.

Here it is - the One-Handed Bread …

One handed bread.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom