Pandoro

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:50 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Whilst the Panettone was first baked between the XV and the XVI century, the Pandoro is a recent invention and could be found in the late 1800s on the table of the rich families of Venice.
Seen as an alternative to Panettone by those who don’t like raisins and candied fruit, the Pandoro is instead a betterment of a cake originally prepared to celebrate the first Christmas in Verona under the domain of the Scala family.
The Pandoro is star-shaped and sold with a little bag of icing sugar to be sprinkled on top; to ensure a thorough coating, most Italian families add the sugar directly to the plastic bag where the Pandoro is sealed, and then shake the whole bag and the Pandoro inside it in every direction. It’s a bit rough, but it works like a charm! Once full of sugar, the Pandoro is ready to be enjoyed plain or with some mascarpone or chocolate cream.
Pandoro.jpg

Looks wonderful! I don't think I've seen it here. I'll have to keep an eye out for it the next time I go to the bakery

@Karen W
I hope you can find it. As far as I know, Pandoro is not well known abroad as its cousin Panettone.
But it is good anyway and you can also make many recipes .. like tiramisu!

Last edited:
Whilst the Panettone was first baked between the XV and the XVI century, the Pandoro is a recent invention and could be found in the late 1800s on the table of the rich families of Venice.
Seen as an alternative to Panettone by those who don’t like raisins and candied fruit, the Pandoro is instead a betterment of a cake originally prepared to celebrate the first Christmas in Verona under the domain of the Scala family.
The Pandoro is star-shaped and sold with a little bag of icing sugar to be sprinkled on top; to ensure a thorough coating, most Italian families add the sugar directly to the plastic bag where the Pandoro is sealed, and then shake the whole bag and the Pandoro inside it in every direction. It’s a bit rough, but it works like a charm! Once full of sugar, the Pandoro is ready to be enjoyed plain or with some mascarpone or chocolate cream.
View attachment 21417

Looks very interesting although I will admit to being a fan of panettoni

Back
Top Bottom