Paper Towels - do you use them?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Appliances, Cookware, Gadgets & Cookbooks' started by morning glory, Nov 5, 2018.

?
  1. I use them a lot

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Sometimes

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Occasionally

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. I don't use them

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Do you use paper towels in the kitchen? I confess I'm completely flagrant with them and feel rather guilty. I use them for mopping spills, wiping out pans, wiping surfaces etc. When I was a kid they didn't even exist and obviously we don't really need them. Do you use them? Would you give them up?

Herbie likes this.
  2. buckytom

buckytom Über Member

Guilty as charged here.

We go through a large roll about every 2 days. Like you, they are used for just about anything that a dish towel would do.

It's a lot more sanitary, but terribly wasteful.

3. morning glory

Glad its not only me! I'm going to attempt a 'towel free day' tomorrow and report back.

4. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

We use them a lot.

Mopping up spills, cleaning up cat sick, as serviettes, I even use them for eating hot food (e.g. spring rolls/samosas) and they come in very handy for cleaning one's face during eating a messy burger (I have a shower after it's finished).

[Edit: draining fried food also].

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  5. morning glory

So how on earth did we cope before they were invented? Would you be up for a challenge to do a 'paper towel free' day?

6. morning glory

I added a poll to the thread.

7. Yorky

Yorky Uncomfortably numb

You may remember that we had dishcloths. We don't have any now so a "paper towel free day" would be very inconvenient.

8. morning glory

Don't you have dishcloths? We still can buy them here. I also use old face flannels which are great for mopping. I am going to do this tomorrow... I am probably just bored and in need of excitement.

9. morning glory

Are you up for the challenge of trying to go one day paper towel free? As I said, I think I'm in need of excitement...

buckytom likes this.
  10. Karen W

Karen W Well-Known Member

I never really thought about it. I do have a lot of glass, like dining room table, mirrors, coffee table, end tables. Mostly I go through a lot of sponges. They seem to get dirty so quickly.

11. Shermie

Shermie Über Member

I use them when prepping food & to dry the dishes after they are washed. :wink:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  12. buckytom

buckytom Über Member

I could very easily accompish it. My wife and son are a different story.

My son pulls off three or four paper towels just to dry his hands after washing them before dinner.

I am becoming my father in that I walk around the house turning off lights, turning the heat or a/c lower, and generally complaining about wasteful or untidy practices.

morning glory likes this.
  13. oddduck

oddduck Active Member

I have cats so yes I use them,sometimes more than others depending if a cat has a issue or not that day. I also wash my dishes with a paper towel. I just think they are my sanitary than reusing a sponge or cloth. But i dry my hands on a dish cloth specially hung on the stove handle for that purpose and since i am the only one that uses it i know when to toss it in the wash.

14. buckytom

buckytom Über Member

Hmm, we have 4 cats, 3 parrots, and a turtle.

If it weren't for paper towels, we might as well spread leaves and forest moss on the floor and just go with it.

rascal likes this.
  15. oddduck

oddduck Active Member

I have often thought saw dust might make a nice for covering...aromatic and all.

buckytom likes this.