Parsley (drying of)

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
10:59 PM
I was considering a little piece of cod this evening so when my wife went out this morning I asked her to look out for fresh parsley.

She came back with a bin bag full.

parsley 2 s.jpg

Now it wasn't expensive (just over $1.00) but I only needed about 20% of it and I hate throwing stuff away. Therefore I intend to dry it. I've checked the internet and apparently it can be cut up and dried on aluminium foil in the halogen at its lowest setting (about 100 degC in my case).

Unless anyone has a better idea?

You could freeze it instead. IMHO parsley is one of those green herbs which loses almost all flavour when dried. I do find the curly parsley keeps very well in the salad compartment of the fridge (much better than flat leaved).

You can also dry herbs using the defrost setting in the microwave. Place them on kitchen towel - it can take up to 20 mins or so on defrost but the results are good.

There's plenty so I could try a number of different ways of preserving it. However, I'll hang onto a little in case the cauliflowers look better in the market tomorrow.

I put about 20% of it in the microwave today. Unfortunately my machine has only one setting for defrost (I think), so I used that (twice x 2.50 minutes) which appears to have worked - the parsley was crisp and crumbly.

dried parsley s.jpg

I put about 20% of it in the microwave today. Unfortunately my machine has only one setting for defrost (I think), so I used that (twice x 2.50 minutes) which appears to have worked - the parsley was crisp and crumbly.

View attachment 14521

That is quick! Mind you I haven't tried parsley. I did spinach to make spinach dust and it took much longer.

Back
Top Bottom