Recipe Pasta and chickpeas with bacon/Pasta e ceci con pancetta

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:18 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Pasta e ceci, what a tastiness! A dish from Tuscany but spread in all the Italian Regions, each with its variants. In this recipe I often add some bacon cubes - or, you can put some pork rind or a piece of lard as I eat pasta and chickpeas in my family -.

Anyway, bacon/lard or pork rind give to this dish that extra touch definitely good.

Pasta e ceci.jpg

Serves 2, Preparation time 20 minutes, Cooking time about 1 hour

• 50 g smoked cubed bacon or lard or pork rind
  • 100 g packaged chick peas (or dried)
  • 150 g. short pasta
  • 1 minced onion
  • water to taste
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Extra virgin olive oil /EVOO) to taste
  • ground black pepper and salt to taste
  • a sprig of rosemary
  • 1 little chili pepper
Method

For this recipe I've used packaged chickpeas. If you want to use dried ones, you have to soak them in a bowl with water the night before.

After rinsing them - so also for those packaged - let them bake in a saucepan covered with water adding a pinch of salt, bay leaves, a rosemary sprig and the cloves of garlic. During cooking then, add bacon cubes or pork rind or lard.

Cook until the water is absorbed.

In a pan, heat the oil and fry the minced onion with a little chili pepper and pour two or three tablespoons of tomato sauce (or a cutted fresh tomato). At the end, pour the sauce into the pan with the chickpeas, let them flavor together, then remove the garlic and laurel leaves and rosemary, turn off the flame and cover with a lid.

In a pot, boil the salty water, then drain the short pasta " al dente" and pour into the seasoning, mix well, complete the dish with a sprinkle of black ground pepper, a little EVOO and serve.

Pasta e ceci, what a tastiness! A dish from Tuscany but spread in all the Italian Regions, each with its variants. In this recipe I often add some bacon cubes - or, you can put some pork rind or a piece of lard as I eat pasta and chickpeas in my family -.

Anyway, bacon/lard or pork rind give to this dish that extra touch definitely good.

View attachment 8880

Serves 2, Preparation time 20 minutes, Cooking time about 1 hour

• 50 g smoked cubed bacon or lard or pork rind
  • 100 g packaged chick peas (or dried)
  • 150 g. short pasta
  • 1 minced onion
  • water to taste
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Extra virgin olive oil /EVOO) to taste
  • ground black pepper and salt to taste
  • a sprig of rosemary
  • 1 little chili pepper
Method

For this recipe I've used packaged chickpeas. If you want to use dried ones, you have to soak them in a bowl with water the night before.

After rinsing them - so also for those packaged - let them bake in a saucepan covered with water adding a pinch of salt, bay leaves, a rosemary sprig and the cloves of garlic. During cooking then, add bacon cubes or pork rind or lard.

Cook until the water is absorbed.

In a pan, heat the oil and fry the minced onion with a little chili pepper and pour two or three tablespoons of tomato sauce (or a cutted fresh tomato). At the end, pour the sauce into the pan with the chickpeas, let them flavor together, then remove the garlic and laurel leaves and rosemary, turn off the flame and cover with a lid.

In a pot, boil the salty water, then drain the short pasta " al dente" and pour into the seasoning, mix well, complete the dish with a sprinkle of black ground pepper, a little EVOO and serve.

@MypinchofItaly

Definitely Mediterranean and delicious surely.

Also, I love Pasta e Fagioli ( Ceci = Chickpeas ) too.

Shall keep this in mind and so simple to prepare ..

Thank you for posting. Have a lovely day ..

@Cinisajoy

Lard means " Fat " in Italian .. Could be Extra Virgin Olive Oil, butter or pancetta ( a type of bacon White fat ) and porc fat .. There is an ítem which is White and it is soft and called Strutto if I am not mistaken. This is porc fat in a jar or container and or one can buy at their Butcher´s and it is wrapped in paper with 1 waxed side at the market.

It is called Manteca de Cerdo in Spanish ..

These are just the sources of Lard (vegetable and porc ) ..

There is little difference between French lard, Spanish Lard or Italian lard.

They are simply fat sources and I believe her sources are the same as in Spain and France: Evoo or Pancetta, a type of bacon or butter.

Last edited:
@Cinisajoy

Lard means " Fat " in Italian .. Could be Extra Virgin Olive Oil, butter or pancetta ( a type of bacon White fat ) and porc fat ..

These are just the sources of Lard ..

There is little difference between French lard, Spanish Lard or Italian lard.

They are simply fat sources and I believe her sources are the same as in Spain and France: Evoo or Pancetta, a type of bacon or butter.
Thanks, I now know what to look for.

@MypinchofItaly says in the ingredients (my italics)
50 g smoked cubed bacon or lard or pork rind

Since the recipe is all about bacon and chickpeas, I don't think that she means 'fat'. Otherwise there would be no bacon if lard were chosen. I think she means 'lardons' which are cubed fatty bacon. I will leave it to @MypinchofItaly to clarify.

Since the recipe is all about bacon and chickpeas, I don't think that she means 'fat'. Otherwise there would be no bacon if lard were chosen. I think she means 'lardons' which are cubed fatty bacon. I will leave it to @MypinchofItaly to clarify.

@morning glory

Lardons of pancetta ( an Italian type of bacon ). I believe you are right ..

Next:
However, the White fat part of pancetta or bacon is a lard .. meaning it is a type of "fat " .. It comes in a soft buttery format from a Butcher and it is "Manteca de Cerdo" in Spanish and it translates to Porc Butter in English .. This is used to coat pans, roasts and can also be used to sauté or fry with ..

Eccomi. Sorry for late!
this is pork lard (lardo di maiale in Italian)
th?id=OIP.0X7A7rHQ-jjNZhfAt86OlAEsDh&pid=15.jpg

If you chose to put this, I suggest to minced it in the sauce. It's only pork fat.

My apologies @MypinchofItaly - it is fat after all!

Yes is only fat...but it's fantastic also cutted in thin slices and putted on a warm bread or focaccia slices.. and after this I swim and run for all the day after! Sometimes is also seasoned with some herbal as rosemary sage bay leaves and pepper...wow, mouth watering..

Eccomi. Sorry for late!
this is pork lard (lardo di maiale in Italian)
th?id=OIP.0X7A7rHQ-jjNZhfAt86OlAEsDh&pid=15.jpg

If you chose to put this, I suggest to minced it in the sauce. It's only pork fat.

@MypinchofItaly

This is what I had thought .. This is called: Manteca de Cerdo in Spanish and it is like a firm Porc Butter. But if you leave it at room temperature it shall be soft to spread .. I buy it from my Butcher at the Market ..

Now I shall write down the Italian translation. I had forgotten the Word in Italian !!

Have a lovely day ..

Back
Top Bottom