Pasta roller?

SlightlyConfused

Local time
12:11 PM
I was asking about flour here and pasta roller came up, I have borrowed a counter top one but since I have a stand mixer it is worth the substantial cost difference to get one for the stand mixer? I think if I knew how much I would use it I would grab the one for the stand mixer but that aside is it worth the cost difference to get one? Or is a counter top one plenty for most home use? Thanks in advance for any replies.

You really don't need to use a roller at all - but as I said in the other thread it does make things easier. With a roller the feeding of the dough repeatedly through kneads the dough so there is no requirement to knead it beforehand. I always mix the dough by hand. Its quicker and you don't have washing up!

I have a manual roller which clamps onto the table or counter and it does the job just fine. We had a Cookalong with the theme Ravioli last year - so you might like to look at that for tips and some of our results! I'll post a link... here we go:

The CookingBites Cookalong: Ravioli

Last edited:
I used to have a manual Imperia pasta machine but have since replaced it with the Kitchenaid attachment - I find it a LOT easier (though I don't make pasta any more frequently than I did before).
I always had problems with the manual one moving around whilst I was using it - no matter how tightly it was clamped to the worktop it always came loose. Also when the pasta sheets are getting longer and thinner its nice to be able to use both hands to support the dough before and after it goes through the rollers - which is obviously much easier if you don't need to use one hand to turn the machine :p:

Personally I would pay the difference for the stand mixer attachment - though I suppose that would depend on how the cost difference between the two actually is.

We have a manual one that takes both of us to operate as our counter does not allow us to clamp it down.

We have a manual one that takes both of us to operate as our counter does not allow us to clamp it down.

That is annoying. I have to open a kitchen cupboard door to allow mine to be clamped. I've got a second machine here at my friends and the only place it will clamp is on a sort of half table in the kitchen.

Well thanks for all the replies and it has given me something to think about. I have one place I can clamp a manual one to but I need to make sure I have one or two other places for is some reason place one its not available which is a possibility now I am thinking about where I clamped it. So I am going to get one since I want to do lots of pastas and such so again thanks for the feedback.

Well thanks for all the replies and it has given me something to think about. I have one place I can clamp a manual one to but I need to make sure I have one or two other places for is some reason place one its not available which is a possibility now I am thinking about where I clamped it. So I am going to get one since I want to do lots of pastas and such so again thanks for the feedback.

Don't forget that you need to work on a long stretch of counter or table top!

I bought this one at Walmart for $25 (US), and it's reduced price now with free shipping (though I don't know if they'll ship to Canada):

8e598964-94fb-42c7-b8ed-9edcce5389b2_1.ab62acfacc10aa39ee3e1dc9426c7c1d.jpg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Zimtown-...ine-for-Fettuccine-Spaghetti-Noodle/407257881

I have two places where I can clamp my pasta machine. One is ideal for clamping but otherwise there is not much room, and the one with the most length of counter top is difficult but not impossible to clamp the machine. I find the machine can move while I'm using it too. If I do the clamp up very, very tight, it marks the counter top. I don't bother anymore with the machine for ravioli or lasagne if it's just for me - I use a good, old fashioned rolling pin instead.

I have two places where I can clamp my pasta machine. One is ideal for clamping but otherwise there is not much room, and the one with the most length of counter top is difficult but not impossible to clamp the machine. I find the machine can move while I'm using it too. If I do the clamp up very, very tight, it marks the counter top. I don't bother anymore with the machine for ravioli or lasagne if it's just for me - I use a good, old fashioned rolling pin instead.

Sit the machine on a folded dish towel. That will take care of both wobbling and marking.

I have the same machine as shown, but I havnt used it yet. I need to make ravioli as well, it's next on the list. I've just been perfecting my samosas recipe.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom