• 160 g orecchiette (the dry ones ) or short pasta preferred
  • 80 g fresh ricotta
  • 150 g canned mackerel
  • a pinch of turmeric
  • half white onion
  • extra virgin olive oil to taste
  • salt and black ground pepper to taste

Method

Let boil salted water in a pot and the pour the orecchiette.

Meanwhile, cut the onion finely and cut the zucchini into cubes or slices. In a pan, heat two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, add the onion and let browning it. Add the zucchini cubes and sauté for at least 5- 8 mins. Then add the ricotta, a pinch of salt and black ground pepper, turmeric and mix well. Chop the mackerel into chunks and add it to the zucchini and ricotta a minute before turning off the zucchini, salt and pepper again if necessary.

If they are a little dry, add a large spoon of cooking-water and mix.

Drain the orecchiette, pour into the pan, stir and serve with a drizzle of raw olive oil.

Its great to seen canned food being used in a recipe - its so often overlooked and fish is one of the best tinned products. This looks like a lovely light dish.

Canned fish can be hit-and-miss. I've tried canned salmon, and mostly what I find are bad cuts of the fish mixed in with bones and skin. I still need to open that can of mackerel I have, however.

Canned fish can be hit-and-miss. I've tried canned salmon, and mostly what I find are bad cuts of the fish mixed in with bones and skin. I still need to open that can of mackerel I have, however.

I have never tried canned salmon, only fresh or smoked, but canned tuna and mackerel are always on my shopping list. Good luck with your can of mackerel!

Nice. Love orecchiette. Have not tried mackerel, but reminded me of a summer pasta salad with tuna I like. Hope it's okay if I share. It's made with orecchiette, tinned tuna, peas, chopped red onion, herbs, & dijon dressing. I don't add celery, but radishes might be good. You can make it to your own taste.

Orecchiette Tuna Pasta Salad with Peas

https://www.realsimple.com/food-rec...alsimple&utm_content=20181211&utm_term=265809

Back
Top Bottom