Recipe Paul Prudhomme's chicken and dumplings

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:53 PM
We usually cut this recipe in half as it makes 8 servings.

Edited to add: I had mentioned this is Chef Paul Prudhomme's recipe in another thread, but forgot to note that in this thread after I was asked to post it.

Seasoning mix
1 Tbsp salt
1-1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp gumbo file powder (optional)

2 (2-1/2 to 3 pounds) chicken fryers, each cut into 8 pieces (we usually use just bone-in/skin-on thighs)
1 cup all purpose flour
vegetable oil, for frying
Dumplings (recipe follows)
2 quarts chicken stock
3 cups chopped onions
3 cups chopped green bell peppers
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
how to prepare

Combine all the ingredients for the seasoning mix in a small bowl.

Using 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp of the seasoning mix, evenly coat the chicken pieces and rub it in.

Mix 1 Tbsp of the seasoning mix with the flour. Coat the chicken pieces with the flour mix. Reserve the leftover flour mixture for the roux.

In a very large skillet, cook the chicken over medium heat skin-side down first, 230º to 250º. You may have to cook the chicken in batches. You want the chicken to be golden brown on both sides. It will take about 20-30 minutes depending on size of your pieces. Drain on a rack or paper towels. Shred the chicken into large chunks.

While the chicken is cooking, make the dumpling dough and set aside.

Place the stock, onions, bell peppers, cream and the remaining seasoning in a large, at least 6-quart, pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. At this point, if some of your chicken is not quite done, add it to the pot and continue to simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes. Reserve the remainder of the chicken that is done so the coating doesn't get soggy.

While the chicken mixture is cooking, make the dumplings by dropping batter by teaspoonfuls onto a rack in a steamer and steaming until cooked through, about 5 to 7 minutes. You will have to do this in batches. Set aside on wax or parchment paper.

Make a roux to thicken the sauce by stirring together the melted butter and 2 Tbsp of the reserved seasoned flour. Stir in ½ cup of liquid from the chicken pot, then return the mixture to the pot. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the dumplings and the reserved chicken and stir gently. Cook until the dumplings and chicken are heated through, about 2 minutes.

Dumplings

4 eggs
1/2 cup minced onions
2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp cayenne powder
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 cup milk
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour

Mix the eggs and onions in a large bowl and whisk until frothy, about 2 minutes. Add baking powder and seasonings, breaking up any lumps, and whisk until blended. Stir in milk and butter. Add the flour slowly, a third at a time, to the center of the mixture, beating well after each addition. Cook as directed above.

Last edited:
I'm becoming quite obsessed with dumpling recipes after the Recipe challenge (bread). I absolutely love dumplings but usually default to vegetable suet and flour. Very easy! I like the idea of the nutmeg and sage here.

Do you have a pic of the product after it's done? :wink:

Nope, been a good while since we made this. Last couple of times I made chicken and dumplings, I made the regular version, not Cajun, and used Bisquick for the dumplings.

I just posted the recipe since TLNG was interested in the dumplings.

I'm becoming quite obsessed with dumpling recipes after the Recipe challenge (bread). I absolutely love dumplings but usually default to vegetable suet and flour. Very easy! I like the idea of the nutmeg and sage here.

Chef Paul liked his spice mixes for sure!

Hi. I know it’s a chicken and dumplings recipe, but I’m just here for the dumplings. :D

Anyway, just tried out your dumplings recipe and they turned out SO GOOD! All those spices really make some delicious dumplings. They were really fluffy, too. I guess the key to fluffy dumplings is the egg.

I tried a few dumplings recipes I found on other food blogs like dinnerwithjulie and Healthy Kitchen 101, and they were nowhere near as fluffy and flavorful as your recipe.

Thanks a bunch!!

Thank you, but it's not mine. It's Chef Paul Prudhomme's (RIP). I'm sorry I didn't make that clear in this thread, though I think I did in the one that prompted me to post the recipe. Regardless, glad you liked them!

We made a variation, skipped the green bell peppers and used carrots and onions. The dumplings are the exact recipe. Oh, I cut down the cayenne by about half and it was still pretty spicy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom