Recipe Pea, Spring Onion, Dill and Cheddar Quiche in a Herb Crust

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:06 PM
Peas and dill - a lovely combination. The dill brightens up the taste of the peas and looks pretty too. You could make this without the cheese for a more delicate flavour.

20170630_181051.jpg

Ingredients:
Shortcrust pastry (made with 300g plain flour, 2 heaped tsp mixed dried herbs,150g fat)
100g of fresh or frozen peas (defrosted)
4 spring onions (scallions)
2 heaped tsp fresh dill
75g strong Cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 pint milk
3 eggs

Method:

1. Heat the oven to 180C
  2. Line a greased 23cm flan tin with the pastry and bake blind (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-blind-bake-pastry).
  3. Chop the spring onions into short lengths
  4. Beat the eggs into the milk
  5. Cover the base of the pastry shell with the cheese
  6. Set aside a few peas. Arrange the spring onions, dill and remaining peas on top of the cheese (place some onion pieces on their ends for a pretty finish).
  7. Pour the egg/milk mixture into the pastry shell.
  8. Lower the oven heat to 170C and bake for 20mins or until almost set.
  9. Arrange the remaining peas over the surface of the quiche.
  10. Bake for a further 15 mins or until set.
20170630_181228.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! Do you know what? I'm not a great fan of peas although I love 'mushy peas' which are made from dried peas. I can eat fresh or frozen peas as a side with fish pie or gammon or something but I'm not so keen on them mixed up with other tastes. But - its a bit like me and chocolate. I'm not very keen on it but I cook with it for other people.

I do understand how peas can work with other tastes and textures - but for me they are a little too sweet. However, onwards and upwards: next on the agenda is Aloo Matar (potato and pea curry).

I do love making quiches (or tarts) - I have it down to a fine art after making so many over the years and they do photograph well because they are 'flat' as it were!

Back
Top Bottom