Peanut Butter - how do you like it?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:13 PM
I haven't ever been a great fan of peanut butter. Apart from the fact its calorie laden (which always rings a few alarm bells with me) I never quite got on with that 'dryish' sense on the palate. Well, that is what it does with me.

I have tried peanut butter with jam (jelly in US?) and I quite like that. However, recently I discovered Marmite and peanut butter. I'm not sure what made me decide to try this! I am now totally addicted to it. I spread the peanut butter and Marmite very thinly on a crisp bread or in a sandwich. There is something incredibly umami about the combo. Please will someone else try it? I know you don't get Marmite in the US (you really don't know what you are missing) - but Vegemite in Australia will be a good substitute.

Anyway, I will widen this out to ask how you like peanut butter. Do you like it crunchy or smooth. Have you ever made your own. Do you use it in recipes?

No thank you on this one. I tasted a drop on a teaspoon once, and disliked the texture and the dryness sentiment intensely .. It is a rarity here in Spain ..

I love hazelnuts (large producers), pistachios, almonds (large producers) and imported Brazil Nuts & Macademia Nuts ..

We can find Marmite here - in the very large Asian grocery store! :laugh: They also sell it in the "Ethnic and Imports" aisle of the large grocery store I shop that thinks itself to be so fancy and trendy...and pricey, I might add. I've heard it's very salty, so that's what keeps me from spending $$$ on a very small jar.

I prefer smooth peanut butter.I really like a bit of peanut butter spread on a wedge of apple. It tastes similar to a caramel apple without the sticky getting stuck between teeth. The moisture of the apple hides any perceived dryness. Our daughter enjoys it on celery, packing it down into the channel of the rib and topping it all with raisins. (I guess it's a Girl Scout thing) Hubby likes it on celery, too, but without the raisins.

I also enjoy it in a sandwich made with cinnamon-raisin bread, with a bit of a cherry jam/preserves/butter added. I have some homemade cherry preserves I've been using lately; I'll be very sad when they're used up. BTW, jelly=just the thickened juice; jam=juice plus pureed pulp; preserves=chopped fruits - all contain a rather generous amount of sugar and, in some cases, pectin for thickening.

I haven't made my own PB yet, but I have bought some from the grocery store where they have a machine set up so you can make it fresh, right into the take-away tub. I still just buy my favorite - Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter.

We can find Marmite here - in the very large Asian grocery store! :laugh: They also sell it in the "Ethnic and Imports" aisle of the large grocery store I shop that thinks itself to be so fancy and trendy...and pricey, I might add. I've heard it's very salty, so that's what keeps me from spending $$$ on a very small jar.

I prefer smooth peanut butter.I really like a bit of peanut butter spread on a wedge of apple. It tastes similar to a caramel apple without the sticky getting stuck between teeth. The moisture of the apple hides any perceived dryness. Our daughter enjoys it on celery, packing it down into the channel of the rib and topping it all with raisins. (I guess it's a Girl Scout thing) Hubby likes it on celery, too, but without the raisins.

I also enjoy it in a sandwich made with cinnamon-raisin bread, with a bit of a cherry jam/preserves/butter added. I have some homemade cherry preserves I've been using lately; I'll be very sad when they're used up. BTW, jelly=just the thickened juice; jam=juice plus pureed pulp; preserves=chopped fruits - all contain a rather generous amount of sugar and, in some cases, pectin for thickening.

I haven't made my own PB yet, but I have bought some from the grocery store where they have a machine set up so you can make it fresh, right into the take-away tub. I still just buy my favorite - Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter.

You have given me a few ideas! Thanks - I like the idea of the apple and peanut butter. I hadn't thought of making peanut butter myself - I douby it would save much money but it mif=ght be interesting. Like making Tahini which I did try once.

Peanuts butter, I love it, but in minimum quantity. I' ve bought it a few months ago (bought on Saturday-finished on next Saturday), I have spreaded it on toast for breakfast (snack too :whistling:), I have filled home-made crepes with Jam and fresh fruits and when hubby didn't see me.....spoonfuls! :hyper:
Fortunately I do a lot of sport!

Peanuts butter, I love it, but in minimum quantity. I' ve bought it a few months ago (bought on Saturday-finished on next Saturday), I have spreaded it on toast for breakfast (snack too :whistling:), I have filled home-made crepes with Jam and fresh fruits and when hubby didn't see me.....spoonfuls! :hyper:
Fortunately I do a lot of sport!
Mix in a little Marmite - and try it on toast. :whistling:

I haven't ever been a great fan of peanut butter. Apart from the fact its calorie laden (which always rings a few alarm bells with me) I never quite got on with that 'dryish' sense on the palate. Well, that is what it does with me.

I have tried peanut butter with jam (jelly in US?) and I quite like that. However, recently I discovered Marmite and peanut butter. I'm not sure what made me decide to try this! I am now totally addicted to it. I spread the peanut butter and Marmite very thinly on a crisp bread or in a sandwich. There is something incredibly umami about the combo. Please will someone else try it? I know you don't get Marmite in the US (you really don't know what you are missing) - but Vegemite in Australia will be a good substitute.

Anyway, I will widen this out to ask how you like peanut butter. Do you like it crunchy or smooth. Have you ever made your own. Do you use it in recipes?
I'll try it tomorrow for my sandwiches.......

I'll try it tomorrow for my sandwiches.......
Well.......
The verdict is....

Delicious!!!!!!!!
I am definitely going to make it again :)

I quite often have peanut butter and blackcurrant jam sandwiches when I don't have anything in the fridge but peanut butter and Marmite is probably healthier.
I also occasionally take a sandwich on long day bike rides for energy but I need something that's easy to digest which this will fit the bill,especially as I often crave something savoury after eating lots of sweet energy snacks.

And the other bonus is that the Marmite spread really well over the peanut butter.

Well.......
The verdict is....

Delicious!!!!!!!!
I am definitely going to make it again :)

I quite often have peanut butter and blackcurrant jam sandwiches when I don't have anything in the fridge but peanut butter and Marmite is probably healthier.
I also occasionally take a sandwich on long day bike rides for energy but I need something that's easy to digest which this will fit the bill,especially as I often crave something savoury after eating lots of sweet energy snacks.

And the other bonus is that the Marmite spread really well over the peanut butter.

I'm so glad you liked it too! I agree - the Marmite spreads really easily on the peanut butter. I'm wondering if this little mix could be used for other purposes...

Back
Top Bottom