Pesticides

foodlover

Veteran
Local time
9:49 AM
I have Lambda-cyhalothrin for spraying around the outside of the house and roof to deter wasps. It says it stops butterflies laying eggs on things as well. Does this mean that it is say to spray vegetables I am growing and will later be eating, in the garden?

No.

You'll require a different solution, sprayed on plants that you intend to eat.

This is from the toxipedia website

Human Health Effects
Lambda cyhalothrin can have corrosive effects on both the skin and eyes. Workers handling it reported facial tingling and burning, which lasted six hours to two days. Ingested lambda cyhalothrin is moderately toxic, although mammals are found to metabolize and excrete lambda cyhalothrin rapidly. The EPA identifies lambda cyhalothrin as a group D carcinogen, an undetermined human carcinogen (#NPTN).

Exposure to lambda cyhalothrin may occur through inhalation, dermal absorption, or ingestion. Inhalation may cause burning sensations, convulsions, coughing, labored breathing, shortness of breath, and sore throat. Contact with the skin and eyes may cause redness and pain. Ingestion can cause abdominal pain and coughing (#PANNA). Extreme levels of exposure can also cause seizures and coma (#NPTN). The effects of respiratory diseases and skin disorders may intensify with exposure to lambda cyhalothrin (#NLM).

http://www.toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Lambda-Cyhalothrin

This link (http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/haloxyfop-methylparathion/lambda-cyhalothrin-ext.html) makes for even more interesting reading and it is certainly not one I would want to be spreading anywhere, let alone considering consumption, but I come from an organic chemistry PhD background for my sins!

This is from the toxipedia website

Human Health Effects
Lambda cyhalothrin can have corrosive effects on both the skin and eyes. Workers handling it reported facial tingling and burning, which lasted six hours to two days. Ingested lambda cyhalothrin is moderately toxic, although mammals are found to metabolize and excrete lambda cyhalothrin rapidly. The EPA identifies lambda cyhalothrin as a group D carcinogen, an undetermined human carcinogen (#NPTN).

Exposure to lambda cyhalothrin may occur through inhalation, dermal absorption, or ingestion. Inhalation may cause burning sensations, convulsions, coughing, labored breathing, shortness of breath, and sore throat. Contact with the skin and eyes may cause redness and pain. Ingestion can cause abdominal pain and coughing (#PANNA). Extreme levels of exposure can also cause seizures and coma (#NPTN). The effects of respiratory diseases and skin disorders may intensify with exposure to lambda cyhalothrin (#NLM).

http://www.toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Lambda-Cyhalothrin

This link (http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/haloxyfop-methylparathion/lambda-cyhalothrin-ext.html) makes for even more interesting reading and it is certainly not one I would want to be spreading anywhere, let alone considering consumption, but I come from an organic chemistry PhD background for my sins!
You never worked with the stuff then?

You never worked with the stuff then?
Thankfully no. My work was based on soaps and what goes into those has made me sick with 'vegan' based soaps ever since. Even some of those that are labeled vegetarian I don't want to go anywhere near knowing the chemicals used to make them!

Question - if you use the stuff in the recommended concentrations and several months later eat the produce just how much are you going to ingest - really ?
Simple calculation - No of people killed by accidents in the [safe cosy environment of the] home VS no killed by the proper use of chemicals in the garden - no real contest, but you might decide to move out of your home

Question - if you use the stuff in the recommended concentrations and several months later eat the produce just how much are you going to ingest - really ?
Simple calculation - No of people killed by accidents in the [safe cosy environment of the] home VS no killed by the proper use of chemicals in the garden - no real contest, but you might decide to move out of your home
And asbestos? Once considered the new "wonder material".

It's a build up in the system over time, not overnight. It'll also depend on whether it's a root crop or not, as not all become inactive upon contact with the soil. @SatNavSaysStraightOn will know this one, paraquat. The effects of it, in the short term, and is it's use still allowed?

The answer to that last one may surprise many.

No answer on the number of people killed, however:
300,000 admitted to A&E following an accident in the kitchen
87,000 admitted to A&E following an accident in the garden

2007/8 figures

87,000 admitted to A&E following an accident in the garden
Not quite the same thing I'm afraid - accident implies just that and includes tripping over rakes - hitting foot with spade - standing on forks etc NOT purely use [or rather improper use] of garden insecticides - a somewhat different number perhaps.
Further the home gardener is not likely to be using the same chemicals year in year out as they tend to vary their crops and therefore their chemicals [if any are used] far more than the commercial grower.
Asbestos ? Not sure how relevant but if we haven't advanced any in testing since the early 1900's [and there were questions being raised even back then] then I think we may have much more to be concerned about that just garden pesticides.

Simple calculation - No of people killed by accidents in the [safe cosy environment of the] home VS no killed by the proper use of chemicals in the garden
- no real contest, but you might decide to move out of your home
No comparison either then, accidents in the house versus proper use of chemicals in the garden!
As for asbestos, how long before first exposure and damage being noticed.

I've used the agricutural versions of what many might use in their gardens, in the garden. I've also worked with them on the farm. Many of the common ones offered for home use are simply weaker versions. Cyanide is once more available for home use, but not agricutural use. Why?

Care to have a go at answering the Paraquat question?

I am loving this conversation from the sidelines and trying to see what I can extract and use going forward. I'm waiting for more.

I am loving this conversation from the sidelines and trying to see what I can extract and use going forward. I'm waiting for more.
Well, having used the agricultural versions of most household versions, I'd say you'd be more at danger in the house and garden(fewer restrictions on use) than you would be on a farm.

Cyanide is a legal pesticide in the home, and quite easy to get hold off. Cleaning up afterwards is up to you though. No instructions given on this part.

Who you looking to see off?

Back
Top Bottom