The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
1:59 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0825.JPG

This is the one I got in Mexico 3 weeks ago. We made guacamole there using one like this. I have yet to use it since bringing it home, but I will if I feel like mashing up something more roughly that I would with a spice grinder.

Anyone else have a mortar and pestle who can tell me what to do with it besides mashing up avocados and whole spices?

It has to make a real mess with all the avocado embedded in the crevices, but I also know that this is a traditional way to make guacamole on Mexico.

Oh and by the way, I do believe what you have is not a traditional mortar and pestle but is called something else. I just can't remember what they are sold as here. I will have to look next time I go to the grocery store. Very common item here. My M&P is made of marble.

Pestle and mortar, I call it! I use it for spices, smashing garlic, grinding saffron, making pea puree (to get a rough texture), making hummus.
I'd be concerned about bits of saffron getting stuck, but you'd know better about that. If I lose some peppercorn, I'm not concerned, but saffron is expensive!

I'd be concerned about bits of saffron getting stuck, but you'd know better about that. If I lose some peppercorn, I'm not concerned, but saffron is expensive!
Her saffron is much cheaper than our saffron.
Hubby thought the same thing about avocado getting stuck. As he put it, why waste good avocado.
It may be traditional but I don't think it improves the flavor.
The only place I have ever seen that used was a higher end Mexican food place and you paid a high end price.

Oh and by the way, I do believe what you have is not a traditional mortar and pestle but is called something else. I just can't remember what they are sold as here. I will have to look next time I go to the grocery store. Very common item here. My M&P is made of marble.
Ditto, mine is marble too. @The Late Night Gourmet 's looks as though it's made from porous rock - pumice stone or similar. That would be fun to wash up after using!

@The Late Night Gourmet,

This Stone historic Aztec Mexican Mortar is called a: " Mol ca je te " pronounce the Ca like a Ka and Je, like "Hei " .. To pronounce: " Mol Ka Hei Tei " ..

I have one which I purchased in Jalisco, Guadalajara, Mexico many many years ago.

I prepare Guacamole in it during the Christmas Holidays .. My husband & my 2 sons enjoy it .. I am neutral ..

@Yorky's mention of the pop pok nickname suggests that it came from the sound made when using it. This causes me to ask: what is the proper motion? This suggests a pounding motion, but I'd always assumed it was more of a twist-and-grind sort of process.

I can only relate how the Thais use them (I'm too lazy and stick to electric gadgets). It's like a pounding twisting motion but it definitely is a pok-pok sound. This is an automated one that I spotted at an agricultural fair recently (obviously only an "up and down" motion).

automated pok pok s.jpg

I think the Thai Pok Poks are longer and narrower than the Pestle and Mortars we use in the West - hence there is less room to grind things around in a circular motion. I think they use it less for seeds and more for stems and leaves (like lemongrass) which would respond to be smashed in an up and down motion.

Back
Top Bottom