Philippine delicacies

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
6:08 PM
May I start with kare-kare, the special dish in the Tagalog region (that includes Metro Manila). It is a dish of beef leg or ox tail that is cooked in a concoction of peanut butter and ground rice that is toasted. Vegetables such as banana blossom and chinese lettuce plus string beans are the garnishings. It is best eaten with shrimp paste that is called bagoong in our language.

Sounds interesting! Do you cook the beef leg and peanut butter together with the ground rice or is rice an accompaniment? I would love the recipe.:)

I haven't heard of kare-kare before, but I do love a couple of foods from the Philippines - lumpia and pancit. Our neighbor is from the Philippines and she makes big batches of it from time to time, and always brings some to our house!

It does sound rather interesting. There are some combinations there that I would never even imagine going together.
I am sure it is very good if you are use to it and have grown up with it. Though I am game to try most anything I am not
sure that I could make myself taste this. I have had a few Philippine dishes in the past and have really enjoyed them.
Not sure what they were called though but it wasn't kare-kare!

May I start with kare-kare, the special dish in the Tagalog region (that includes Metro Manila). It is a dish of beef leg or ox tail that is cooked in a concoction of peanut butter and ground rice that is toasted. Vegetables such as banana blossom and chinese lettuce plus string beans are the garnishings. It is best eaten with shrimp paste that is called bagoong in our language.

That sounds really good! I have not had Phillipine cooking to my knowledge, but I have had Thai cooking We used to know a lady when I lived in Northern Virginia, who made us dishes in steamed banana leaves. I used to live in the D.C. area though and I am sure there are probably some phillipino restaurants there. My guess is you put your own unique spin on dishes.

The next and most popular Philippine dish is the Adobo, actually chicken and pork as the main ingredients. Crush a clove of garlic and toss in a pot with a cup of vinegar and 3 tablespoon of soy sauce. That simple. Upon boiling, toss in the pork which should have been sliced to desired sizes. After boiling the pork for 5 minutes, include the chicken parts in the pot and boil for 5 minutes. If the sauce is drying, you can add a little water.

When cooked, you are not done yet. Get a pan and fry the meat - pork first then chicken - make it brown and crispy. When fried, put the meat back into the pot and give it a boil for 30 seconds. That's done and ready to eat.

I love the simplistic approach to this style of cooking ,and the feeling of care it conjures up to me ,we all eat different foods and it's the forum that shares this wealth of knoweledge
Thank you
:highfive:

Have you heard of Menudo? That's a popular group of boy band in the 1980s. But menudo is a Philippine dish, common in eateries but special to some like in our home. We only cook menudo for special occasions like Christmas and birthday. Its main ingredient is pork that is cut in small cubes and sauteed in garlic, onions and margarine. But before that, the pork is boiled in red tomatoes that are crushed in soy sauce and some water. After the sautee, the pork is put back to the pot with the soy sauce and boiled. That's Menudo, ready for serving.

Sounds interesting! Do you cook the beef leg and peanut butter together with the ground rice or is rice an accompaniment? I would love the recipe.:)

Hi! If I may answer your question, the rice is an accompaniment to Kare-Kare. Usually, we always have rice in our meals. As for the recipe, here it is:

Ingredients
  • 3 lbs oxtail (cut in 2 inch slices) beef slices are okay to use too
  • 1 bundle of pechay or bok choy
  • 1 bundle of string beans (cut into 2 inch slices)
  • 4 pcs eggplants (sliced)
  • 1 cup ground peanuts
  • ½ cup peanut butter
  • ½ cup shrimp paste
  • 34 Ounces water (about 1 Liter)
  • ½ cup annatto seeds
  • 1 tbsp garlic, minced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
Recipe

1. Soak the annatto seeds in water. Set aside.
2. Boil water in a large pan.
3. Put the oxtail in the pan along with the onions. Simmer for 3 hours or until tender.
4. When the meat is tender, add the peanuts, peanut butter and water from the soaked annatto seeds. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. On a separate pan, salute the garlic, eggplants, pechay and string beans. Transfer to pan with other ingredients.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve with rice and shrimp paste! Yum!

Some also do not put the veggies until they are going to eat the Kare-Kare already, that's okay too.

I love Filipino dishes aside from Kare-Kare I enjoy the Philippine Adobo because of the softness of the pork, the tanginess of the soy sauce and vinegar combination and the addition of potatoes and chicken to fill you up.

Pochero is an alien dish to many foreigners and sometimes even to Filipinos from the south. It is a delicacy in Luzon provinces. The main ingredient is beef and pork which are tenderized separately, of course because the beef takes longer to get tender. The sautee is the usual garlic and onion but with tomato sauce this time. That meat, i.e. pork and beef, will be mixed in the sautee pan before mixing in the sliced plantain and sweet camote. When cooked, add the sliced cabbage. It is best served with eggplant salad, i.e. broiled eggplant flavored with crushed garlic, vinegar and salt.

Back
Top Bottom