Review Philips HD 4746 Multicooker

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
9:05 AM
Philips HD 4746 Multicooker

The initial plan was to buy a slow cooker but I came across this Philips slow cooker/multicooker.

The manual is in English (and Korean, Bahasa Indo, Bahasa Malayu, Vietnamese, Thai and Chinese) but it has been badly translated (into English).

The bowl has a liquid capacity of 1.80 litres which is adequate for 4 - 6 portions of most stews, chilies, congees, pau fans and 8 portions of rice. It is removable and Telfon coated which prevents food sticking and also makes it very easy to clean. We could have used it for an everyday rice cooker but it is very rare that we cook rice for more than two people so it is too large.

We have used the appliance a few times for chili, curry and roast potatoes and the results were very good. Unfortunately the slow cooker facility has a maximum cooking time of 4 hours (6 hours would have been more useful).

The control display is LCD which makes it difficult to read in daylight, LED would have been better. The procedures require a little “trial and error” practice because of the badly translated manual.

The appliance is solidly built but is fitted with a European style plug (which is banned in Thailand) on the end of a detachable lead. It also comes with a nylon steamer tray, plastic spoon and spatula and it has fuzzy logic.

We paid Bht 3.000.00 (US$ 85.00) for it mail order about 18 months ago.

[Edited: wrong price entered]

Last edited:
My wife usually "steams" fish and/or vegetables in the stainless steel steamer on the hob. I am trying to get her to use this but up to now with no success.

@Shaun - should this be transferred to the Cookadoodle forum? I thought I had posted it there but obviously not.

@Shaun - should this be transferred to the Cookadoodle forum? I thought I had posted it there but obviously not.
It doesn't matter. I'm now in charge of uploading things to the website. I will pick up reviews wherever you post them. At the moment I'm working my way through uploading your recipes. Once done I will turn to Reviews!

I think I am almost at the point of being able to review my Halogen Oven, at least primarily. I need to try cooking rare charred beef steak first.

A minor niggle. If you wish to view the "cooking time remaining" it is necessary to press the "cooking time" button. Within a few seconds the display reverts to the time of day. I don't know of anyone who doesn't have a clock in their kitchen or wears a watch so this is a little annoying.

Presto Big Kitchen Kettle..jpg

I love my Presto Multi-Cooker! It does lots of nice things. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom